_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Scalpel blades
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC
I was doing some searching and found this source for blades. They will fit into a regular Xacto handle. If you have never used scalpels, try them out. That is all I use now. Very sharp and durable. I use #11 most of the time, but have used #12's and #15's with good results.

Patrick
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
I prefer the scalpel Handles...... They don't roll!!!!!
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I prefer the scalpel Handles...... They don't roll!!!!!

Hmm unfortunatly i found out the hard way. I was underneath my modeling table picking up, i must have bumped the table but it rolled off and fell right onto my stomach. It stuck streight out, I had to pull it out myself, i later got stiches. I to this day still have a scar there.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
I found out X-acto has a couple different # 11 blades, cause the last time I was in the hobby shop, they sold these ones that had a notch on the top of the blade, and them things are the sharpest blades, I have ever seen.

Just as soon as you get one out of the package, if you don't dull it on something quick, your going to cut yourself with them, cause just a touch will drawl blood, believe me, every blade I got out of that pack, I have had to get a band aid for it, and I never had that trouble with any other blades, just this pack.

They have the sharpest points then any of the others, and you can't lay your finger on it to see how sharp it is, cause that will cut it, these should come with a special warning over and above the others, they are sharper then a razor blade I believe.

All I know is they have a notch on top of the blade, look out for these, if you want a real sharp one.
Kerry
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 05:23 AM UTC
I have tried Scapel blabe but they just do not stay as sharp as long as Xacto and I found out why. Xacto grinds thier blades and uses a thicker blade whereas Scalpels are lightly ground on thinner metal but a spine rib is added to the back for support, then they are polished to make then sharp. Trust me I have gone through as many as 9 #10 blades in surgery and they dull up fast!!! But are good for one time sharp accurate cuts.

Now for real versatility try to find "Beaver" blades, they come in a wider variety of blades from flat chisle to completely rounded blades and last a long time.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Boy for $8 you get 100 of them - not bad even if they do go dull a bit quicker.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:51 AM UTC
Wow, what a coincidence. I am now down to my last 12 blades from a box of 100 I got back in 1996 from Micromark. I seem to go through about a dozen or so blades per build, does this sound like alot?

Chief
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
I go through maybe 5 exacto blades a build (depending on the amount of cleanup and scratch building.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
It's funny....... the scalpel Blades seem to be more Brittle... But IMHO seem to hold a edge longer maybe it's just me though......
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But IMHO seem to hold a edge longer

Although the tip is easier to break, I feel like they stay sharper longer.

Patrick
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:11 PM UTC
I use for years these single use surgical blades and nothing else. It fits perfect to a Xacto handle.
It is very simple to fix a plastic piece (from the model frames) with a adhesive band to the Xacto handle. This prevents it from dangerous rolling.
 _GOTOTOP