_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
Night Sight for crew served weapons
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:20 PM UTC
Does any company produce or produced Night sights that are used on weapons like the M2 .50 cal or the M60 Machineguns?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:26 PM UTC
I have an old Dragon models 1/35th M16 weapon set at home that has all kinds of accessories included in it. I also have a set of DML modern marines that may have something in it. I will check for you Sunday night when I get back in town.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have an old Dragon models 1/35th M16 weapon set at home that has all kinds of accessories included in it. I also have a set of DML modern marines that may have something in it.

DML M-16 set has Vietnam era Starlight scopes in it. They haven't been used since 1970's. DML Modern Marines does not come with any type of scopes or NVG euipment.

No one makes modern night vision equipment that I know of. Shouldn't be too difficult to make some though. The current ones in use are the PVS-4 and TVS-5. They are below.

PVS-4 website

TVS-5 website

Hope that helps.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 01:21 AM UTC
This has been one area I've constantly championed for. I'm sure DML and other resin sculptors know this, but so far they have not acted.

There are currently no modern U.S. night sights for 1/35 guns except the following, and even these are NOT U.S. per se, more like NATO night sights.

DML's "SBS British with Kayak" is probably the best "U.S.-like" NVG out there with mount. The sight is attached to a M-16A2, and even this M-16A2 looks Canadian. DML's "HK MP-5 comes with a NATO night sight as well. Both are better options than the night sight in the DML "M-16 Weapons Set."

Think 180 uses "Red-Dot" COMP-M sights. These aren't night sights per se, but they do have a little ability to see in the night.

Don't use the "M-16 Weapons Set" night sight. As Gino said, this hasn't been used since the early 1980s, and the quality and results are quite bad being a First Generation night sight. U.S. night sights are now Third Generation.

No, they are not easy to make. I tried. To make some, I suggest you buy DML's "Sniper Team" and cut the gun scopes and then add on larger cylinders for the front. But then you're wasting perfectly good DML guns to do this.

120mm is better. Airborne Miniatures produces the AN/PVS-14 monocular in their "USMC Force Recon" and Tamiya's OIF has the AN/PVS-7B night vision goggles. The PVS-14 can be mounted on guns, but not the -7B.

Or you can wait for someone to make some. Post on M-L or PlanetFigure asking for some. Sculptors go to those forums and now that they're making modern OIF, hopefully they'll read and act.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Anyone know what the approximate diameter of that thing is on the big end. Looking at the pictures it looks to be about 8 inches. I think I will try to turn a couple on the lathe just for giggles.

Shaun
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone know what the approximate diameter of that thing is on the big end. Looking at the pictures it looks to be about 8 inches. I think I will try to turn a couple on the lathe just for giggles.

Not sure, but I'll see what I can find out. I'm looking for something liek the TVS-5 used on the M2 and Mk-19
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 05:32 PM UTC
Found the data on the TVS-5. Here it is.
Manufacturer: IMO, VARO, Garland, Texas and various vendors
Length: 15 inches (38.1 centimeters)
Width: 6 inches (15.24 centimeters)
Height: 6 inches (15.24 centimeters)
Weight: 8 pounds (3.63 kilograms)
Magnification: 6.5x
Range, Vehicle-Sized Target:
Starlight: 1000 yards (914 meters)
Moonlight: 1200 yards (1096.8 meters)
Field of view: 9° (circular)
Power source: 2.7 volt mercury battery: BA-1567/U, BA-5567/U, BA-3058/U
Unit Replacement Cost: $4,005
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DML's "SBS British with Kayak" is probably the best "U.S.-like" NVG out there with mount. The sight is attached to a M-16A2, and even this M-16A2 looks Canadian. DML's "HK MP-5 comes with a NATO night sight as well. Both are better options than the night sight in the DML "M-16 Weapons Set."

the sight you refer to is a British CWS(common weapon sight) the standard British Army night vision sight.

you are correct about the rifle, British special forces use the canadian manufactured M16, i think its called a DiMarco?

i know the CWS has been widely exported(its the best on the market) so US special forces would possibly have them

they are called common weapon sight because they can be mounted on any infantry weapons system from an L85 to a LAW 80!

regards

joe
 _GOTOTOP