_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Creating canvas
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:10 AM UTC
This is an old technique, but it works wonders.

This easy way to create your own canvas can make your model look much better.

• mix liquid white glue (for wood) with water, until you obtain a white paint-like fluid.
  • "paint" a sheet of paper tissue with this mixture. (one or several layers, try out what works best for your model)
  • drape the wet paper tissue over the kit's plastic canvas, and make it fit. Trim / fold away the edges. The end result should look like your original canvas, but white and soggy.
  • be patient till it is COMPLETELY dry. The result should be hard. Radiators and hairdryers may help it dry faster, they can also help you ruin your plastic model. Be patient. (in the meanwhile, you can work at other parts of your model of surf around on the web to find a better text explaining you this procedure).
  • once it's dry, you can paint. Of course, too much paint could make your canvas soggy again. Be careful. Paintbrushing is always the best option.
  • of course there's no need to copy the original kit's canvas. You can make your own. you can leave it closed, open, neatly folded, carelessly shoved away, etc...
  • same technique applies to make blankets
  • if you take some time, it results in good sleeping bags, even kit bags,...
  • with some experimenting, you can use this technique to remodel soldier's clothes or uniforms, blankets, etc...This applies especially to large scale figures (120 mm series..).

Here's one fine example of the result of such canvas (but you'll find dozens on the web !)
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/britain/gdlrdg/gdlrdg.htm

TEST FIRST ! Before you mess up your finished model, I strongly advise you try the wet-tissue technique on an old model or on any other object. In fact, always try out ANY new technique to get some experience if you don't want to ruin a good model.

And of course, please add your own experience on this subject !
If you decide to give this a first try, I"m interested in learning about the results.

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Jan, I used pretty much the same procedure for experimenting making tent rolls after getting some great tutoring from Gunnie. You can see the results here.

All I did extra was paint a 3m post-it note flat brown and cut strips which I glued around it to simulate straps.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:56 PM UTC
Jan,

in an issue of the excellent French armor magazine SteelMasters, I read an article about a diorama involving an M20 armored car. The M20 had some stowage on the rear deck covered with a canvas tarp. Unpainted it was black, so immediately my attention was drawn. It turned out this was a piece of umbrella fabric!!! It was taken from an old umbrella (don't you hate it when it turns inside out because of a sudden gust of wind) and it was drenched in cyanoacrylate glue and quickly draped over the stowage before the glue set (and white glue wouldn't work here as it will bead up on the fabric!). When painted an appropriate color it looks VERY realistic.
I will definitely try this technique once (there's a storm outside, so there must be loads of umbrellas out there LOL ).
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 07:23 PM UTC
Great Idea! Thanks David.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
Jan;
I use pretty much the same technique, and I also use to form it on the kit, I just lay down the tissue paper on the kit and with a brush I put the solution you've mentionned (50%water + 50% white glue) I work modelling and forming the tissue as I want it on the model, after I'm satisfied, just let it dry, during the process I add all folds and wrinkles I want...
HTH
Beto
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC
Never tried that, David. But I did use CA glue to stabilise tissue canvas. Worked very well.
Only... when you put CA on tissue there's a LOT of fumes. Watch out for that !!!
 _GOTOTOP