_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Other Sites
Place your announcements here please.
Atlantikwalcheren :: Sherman Crab walkaround!
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi all,

I made a major update on my website about the Atlantikwall on the Dutch island Walcheren and the battle of the Scheld (the entrance to the harbour of Antwerp)

Although the whole story is Dutch I still wanted to share these pictures of a restored M4A4 crab with you. This tank was one of the tank which landed on Walcheren during Operation Infatuate II, the amphibous landing on the sea dike at Westkapelle. It was lost during the battle (it sank) but recovered afterwarts and restored. Too bad the mine clearing device is missing though.

Sherman Crab comes ashore during Operation Infatuate II. A total of 10 Crabs landed here, together with a lot of LVT-4's, Weasels, 4 armored bulldozers, 8 Churchill AVRE's and 2 normal Shermans. They supported the attack of the no.4 Commando troops: the Canadian 41, 47 and 48 Royal Marine Commando's.

The walkaround can be found here

I will build a Sherman Crab for the Walcheren '44 campaign, representing a Crab during Infatuate II.

The Walcheren '44 campaign is a very interesting one which deserves more attention. You can build lot's of Allied stuff. Shermans, LVT's, Weasels, Brencarriers, AVRE's......check the campaign page for more info!

Well, hope you like it!

English version of my site should be ready soon (before Walcheren '44 starts)

http://www.webevolution.nl/atlantikwalcheren/index.htm

Cheers,
Martin
boovoola
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 03:34 PM UTC
Nice photos. Interesting that the aft portion of both tracks are reversed.

I never really considered that the track could even be connected this way. Live and learn.

_GOTOTOP