Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Thor lighting his furnace?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi, See now that two volcanoes have come to life over in the Southeast Asia area just in the last day or so. Guess those 3 major underseas earthquakes since December have opened some vents here and there. With the history of the somewhat titanic eruption potential that this area of the world has, at least in the brief history of the human species, this is definity something I quite sure that is being very closely watched by the scientific community, not to mention the world at large.

Another eruption the likes of a Tabora or Lake Toba would definitely put mankind back a step of two in the evolutionary scale of things..

Could be an interesting year coming up.

Take care, Sgirty
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
i really hope that wouldnt happen.

I still have so many models to do!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
Sgirty, did you see that thing Discovery did about the super volcano that is under Yellowstone? I don't know how many steps back it would put back mankind, but it would put you and me back a few steps, living where we are.

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi, No Halfyank. I didn't see the Discovery Channel show, but yes, the entireYellowstone district is one very vast volcanic caldera, (in fact I think it is rated as one of the biggest calderas in the world today) that was active at one time in the distant past. And yes, eventually this area most likely will go up again in the distant future. In fact, I've heard that there are certain sections of this region that are growing ever so slightly each and every year. But as long as it continues to be able to 'breathe' so to speak, it should basically be pretty much okay, as far as you and I are concerned. Of course if it gets plugged up............ well then, all bets are off.

Most definitely though, if the Yellowstone region would go up it would put us into another Ice Age at the very least, what with very vast amount of dust and ash it would put into the air, not to mention the ash and unbelievable volume of pyroclasitc flows which would be put directly on the ground throughout the whole middle western area of the US, clear to the Mississippi River Valley.

Whether this would be as big as the Lake Togo eruption, which I've heard it said actually changed the chemical makeup of the Earth's atmosphere, it would be hard to say, but I'm thinking that even if it wasn't, we, as a species, wouldn't be around to measure the difference between them.

But still, an eruption of the magnitude of the Krakatoa event of 1886, or the Tambora eruption of the early 1800s ( when the world experienced a "summer without warmth,") and both of these events generated in the same immdiate neighborhood as the geological hapenings going on today, would most definitly change the history of the human race as we know it, what with all the nations of the world so totally interlocked, fiancially speaking, on one another as they are today.

If one of these two volcanoes, or one of the other over 100 volcanoes in this region decides to go truly magmatic from these latest underseas quakes, the current power structure of the world as we know it today would at the very least be changed. For the better or not, is not for me to say, but be changed? Most definitely.

We may be living in some very interesting times to come. Or Not. Mother Earth can be very fickle about these things, at least to human understanding.

Take care, Sgirty
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
Surely Bruce Willis will get a crew together and save us from whatever is about to happen...
Living in Indiana, I am waiting for the New Madrid fault to cut loose. I bet I am one of about 20 in this flat land state who has quake insurance on my house.

Shaun
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
Well most likely Califonia will break up, no doubt about it.
Armegdon anyone?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:48 AM UTC
HI, I see that a third volcano has now started rumbling the smoking over in the Far East. And this one is the old Krakatoa crater. Those earthquakes must have really done some major movments down in the Earth to get three going all at the same time. We can only hope that rumbling and smoking is all that it will amount to at this time, but I have a bad feeling that things are not going to be settling down in that part of the world here anytime soon. Definitely a situation to be keeping an eye on.

I think I'm going to be devoting more time to getting all my models built.

Take care, Sgirty
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 06:27 AM UTC
Lets hope nothing major will happen, i'm REALLY hoping.

The last time Lake Toba erupted, it is believed that the event almost wiped out the humans that were in existent then. That happened about 80,000 years ago?

Oh, Lake toba measure 100km long by 30km wide.

I wonder what the governments will do if a catastrophe really happens?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC
Scary...scary..scary I'll bet 1 in 10 in the United States don't have a clue. Most think the only place earthquakes happen here is in California. I hear there is a gigantic fault line along the east coast. No one has been building "earthquake proof" buildings there