_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cleaning of ...
DIAMONDS088
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 03:34 PM UTC
Mea culpa, mea culpa...
Without a display case, you could just imagine what my problem is. Yeah, dust all over. Should I use the china setting on the dishwasher? (Dragon is from China) Now, seriously, I"ve tried brushing, but still not like new. What is the solution? Surely not a car wash for a tank??? I also have planes.
Thanks in advance for the usual help and support.
Claude
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 04:12 PM UTC
How about the cans of compressed air used for blowing dust out of computers?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 04:22 PM UTC
Hey Claude I know what you mean. I myself have many models sitting on shelves, so i have a practice of dusting every week-end. You see that if left to long the dust piles up fast and make it harder to clean. Another thing is humidity..mosture, makes the dust stick to the model making it even harder to clean. Every Sunday afternoon I take out my 3/4 flat soft brush, and I dust from the top working my way down and blowing the dust away. Set the model to the side and dust off the area. I used to use a static spray until I noticed that starting getting shinny
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
Better for you to dust your models then someone else. When my mother used to dust is my room ( a few years back), I would find pieces of models all over the place, not that she was making a point or anything she just didn't know how fragile these things are. Even when I pointed it to her out the peices kept flying. We get a big laugh about it now :-) :-)
My wife has heard the story so many times that she "allows" me to dust the models :-) :-)
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 05:14 PM UTC
Claude, If you blow the dust away, you will leaves lots on your model and just temporarily lift it into the air and it will eventually settle again.
The best way I have found is to go to a make-up counter and ask for a blusher brush. This is very large, very soft bristles. It won't even break off PE parts. Get the hose from your vacuum cleaner, and firmly hold it 2 to 3 inches from your model whilst you gently brush it with your make-up brush. This way the dust will not re-settle on your models.

Vinnie
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
I hear wiping them with a dryer sheet helps.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC
I use a Lens Brush its soft but has a little puffer for a handle helps blow the dust away
GungHo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use a Lens Brush its soft but has a little puffer for a handle helps blow the dust away

Man, that's a GREAT idea....... I'll have to pick up one of those brushes.
DIAMONDS088
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 02:40 PM UTC
Attention to all. There are bright ideas in here. Thanks for such prompt and valuable answers. But hey, I knew I could count on you diehard modelers. I should either be more active at cleaning or get this cabinet I mentionned in my request.
For Vinnie (teacher), without kniwing, you have helped with your topics on the Bergepanzer and the Jagdpanzer IV A-0 wich are not available yet in Montreal. Beautifull job and you do bear your name: Teacher"
Regards,
Claude
P.S. I am enjoying these forums almost as much as my model building.
 _GOTOTOP