_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Modelbuilding keeps me sane
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 09:02 AM UTC
I've had a realization today: Modelbuilding keeps me sane.
I have already wiped out three paragraphs of text that I've typed, trying to find the best way to put my thoughts into words. Here's what I'm thinking in a nutshell... (not to be confused with 'nutcase' ):

Modelbuilding, for me, is a great way to relax. A time to just put the events of the outside world aside, and work on this hunk of plastic that sits before me. If I've had a bad day, had an argument with someone, if I've heard bad news (9/11), whatever it is... modelbuilding helps me put it aside, just for a little bit.
I can always count on those little plastic kits to need paint, to need to be glued together.. Gaps will always need to be filled, seams will always need to be sanded away. I can always count on the good ol' guys on ArmoramA for help...
Indirectly, I just want to say thanks to everybody on the site for being here...
Jim - thanks for creating this great site! Who knew you could find so many great guys at one web adress?
Rob - thanks again for the subchaser model... I admire your willingness to help a complete stranger!
Gunnie (the other Jim ) - thanks for being my fellow Star Wars geek on the site.
Tread - I don't know where you've been the past few weeks, but thanks for the laughs... you really help make the forums a fun place to be!

If some of you are wondering why I made this post, don't worry, I am too! I guess what I'm trying to say is;
Ever since I stumbled onto ArmoramA, the guys on the site have been here for me.

Thanks!

YodaMan
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC
Yo dude anybody who thinks he is a Jedi Knight is not sane
Just kidding I guess we all have our little pet attributes
Josenhans
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 11:10 AM UTC
My the force be with you
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 01:52 PM UTC
Well said Yoda man! And to think that my folks used to think Im insane to spend so much time inside my workshop playing with plastics! What an irony!
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:30 PM UTC
You are not alone on the Starwars front.

I build Xwings, I have a few now.

If you have ever read any of Micheal A Stackpoles book's in the Xwing series, he describes each of the pilots X wing that has a different paint job. Not all xwings are grey.

If you like this stuff you will know where I'm coming from.

remember 'size matters not' its the detail you can cram on it.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
Yodaman your post was dead on. For me its not even just the act of building or painting the model. I can be having a hard day and just think about the next steps in a project and maybe try and plan out what new things i am going to try on my next model and i feel better. Maybe that's why alot of us have so many unfinished projects. The working and planning on it is more fun than the end project. (especially if u screw up in the last stages)
 _GOTOTOP