_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Easiest: aircraft or tanks/military vehicles?
KidCactus
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi there. I am new to this hobby and I wonder what you would suggest me to build. I am interested in both aircraft, tanks and military vehicles from WW2. Mainly scales 1:48 or 1:35.

What do you think is easy builds for a beginner? I'm thinking about a Willy jeep or maybe a Kubelwagen/Schwimmwagen. Airplanes seem to leave less space for mistakes such as ugly seams and scratches. With tanks and/or military vehicles you can always cover it up with some mud or so...?

What do you think?
rudie
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
Welcome to the hobby.
There is no easy way to go. You have to accept that the first few models will be far from perfect. The beauty of this hobby is that you never can be the best, there's always room for improvement.
The problem with the seems is common to both tanks and planes, the way to go is to develop your technique and always do what you feel is right at the moment. There's no point in doing something just because it is easy.
Cheers!
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC
Seems to me you already have a handle on the main differences between tanks and planes....... do what I do and pick something your interested in..

I for one like planes... but am a lot better with groundhuggers..... but I don't let that stop me from doing an interesting plane now and then..

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC
Tamiya has a new line of 1/48 scale armor coming out. Give one of those a try. They have two Kubelwagens and a Schwimmwagen for softskins. Best of all, if you decide to build aircraft, you will have a common scale.
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
hello and welcome to the hobby. First of all, start with whatever you're interested in the most. Either subject would do the trick. On the other hand, Sabot is right. If you choose to do 1/48, you will have both, airplanes and some AFVs to work with. In terms of manufacturer, I would say to start with something that'll be free of fit problems, so I guess Dragon or Tamiya. I cannot comment on Dragon's instructions, but Tamiya has excellent ones so you might as well start with them. It's totally up to you. I am a Tamiya addict, but slowly moving towards Dragon. Whatever you decide, have fun and you'll get many years of enjoyment out of the hobby.
Klown
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
I personally think planes are easyier to make, there are less really fiddly parts.. but i prefer making armour because i has loads of fiddly bits!
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
The tamiya Panzer II F/G is a easy kit for a first build.

HastyP
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 06:13 AM UTC
Armor is easier to do in the sense of painting and finishing, plane requires a higher level of finishing and painiting. Armor is slightly more difficult construction-wise though.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 09:53 AM UTC
Welcome KidCactus I would suggest that you start of with the less expensive kits, that way you'll learn as you go along...using glues,paints and such. This way if you feel that you messed it up (i'm sure you won't) you won't be discouraged.

As for a easiest, I would do a little of everything. This way you'll get a feel and find what's best for you. Soon in no time you'll be building, then you will be looking to build dioramas around them :-) :-) :-)

Good luck to you and again welcome to Armorama..Happy Building.
 _GOTOTOP