_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Rodgers Trailer
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
After looking at them pictures from them Israeli sites, on tank haulers, it appears the pictures we down loaded from MHI site of that Tank trailer, is called a Rodgers trailer.

So I have 2 good pictures of that trailer, but I don't know the dimensions of it, does anybody know the dimensions of the Rodgers trailer? Before I never knew what it was called.
Thank you a head of time.

Kerry
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 01:19 PM UTC
Kerry:

You confused me 1st time when I think you asked about a 4-wheel trailer.

The Rogers, or Trailer, 45-ton, 12-wheel, M9 has 3 axles -- one forward & 2 aft. The 12-wheels are duals & so there are 24 tires. Each axles has 4 duals.

The trailer is 114" wide at the sides & 108" wide at the outside of the tires.

The trailer is 356" long from the rear, to the front of the pintle where it sits on the ground.

From the front axle, it is 187" to the center of the rear duals. There are 40" between axles of the rear duals.

Tires are 8.25 x 15.

The trailer is 56-3/4" high from ground to the top of the chocks stored on top.

You'll have to interpolate/extrapolate from there or perhpas others will have more dimensions for you.

The Rogers was pulled by the Diamond-T 980/981, Fruehauf & others also made these trailers & I think each had minor differences.

HTH,
John
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
This will be of a big help John, before I was saying I wanted to build trailers that pulled tanks, and I was having a heck of a time trying to figure the size of this trailer, cause I thought them tires were 10.00 x 20 that have been around forever, and I was trying to figure the size from that, no wonder things didn't come out right.

Yes if anybody els has any pictures of these trailers I sure would appreciate them, cause mine don't show where that, I guess some kind of parking brake is that steering wheel, or what ever it's purpose, it just shows the top of the wheel in my photos.

Kerry
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 01:27 PM UTC
Kerry:

More data:
Height of Deck 39"
Ground Clearance 18"

Where are these pictures you are looking at ? I see no wheel on the Rogers. I'd like to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

John
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:07 PM UTC
John, I'm not sure exactly how to find them pictures that Grumpy downloaded for us from MHI but there is 2 pictures of a Rodgers trailer in there, and it has a steering wheel on the both of them, cause I think they are the same trailer, only one has a tank on it, and the other is empty.

But both of them, the pictures were taken from the right side, and the steering wheel thing, is on the left side over the front axle.

Kerry
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
Kerry:

Ah, ha !!! Now I see it. From what I can see, that wheel turns a very short shaft with a chain gear about half-way down. I doubt it was steering; I'd assume parking brake or some adjustment mechanism.

I don't have the TM for this trailer, and am unlikely to get same, so can't help much more.

John
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 07:07 PM UTC
I figured it was to small for a steering wheel, that I thought of the same thing like on trains for parking brakes maybe, but where did you get a picture showing a better view of this wheel.

See all I got are them 2 pictures from MHI that have it on the other side, and just show the top of the wheel.

Kerry
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
Kerry,
going to dig out plans for you ------will e-m
aye
BARV
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 04:24 AM UTC
According to my one reference book.....
Brakes................... Service type.............. Air
Parking, type.............Wheel-operated.
so I would venture a guess, and say the "steering wheel" you are seeing, is actually the wheel for applying the parking brake.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC
Sounds great Steve, just got my computer back from the shop this morning

Kerry
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:48 AM UTC
Kerry,
Sorry ...p-c and printer not speaking will send soon
aye
BARV
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 07:28 PM UTC
Don't worry Steve, I keep running into computer problems all the time, as a matter of fact, I just got mine out of the shop, so I could use it this weekend.

Before there was somebody that had control of my computer, and they could even kick me off line, on the weekends, that was the only time they done it, when I wouldn't give them my new yahoo passwords, but they are supposed to not be able to control my computer no more, or write triple x letters to girls, using my mailing address.

Even Mr. Roo has been promising pictures of WWII trailers from Australia, and the sorts, but he keeps forgetting, for now, I know he has a lot on his mind, with all the things going on.

Kerry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 09:46 PM UTC
John, I finally got some time, to set here and figure on these measurements, and the width you got this trailer, it is a foot wider then the widest trailer today, which is the 102".

Now the 102" takes up the whole road, and a lot of roads, it still not allowed on even today, so back in them days, where would they run a 114" wide trailer. The 102" is mostly an interstate trailer. Now they have widen out a lot of roads today to handle the 102, but this was all brought about by the automotive company's mainly to fit their racks in them sideways instead of length ways, this allows them from 8 racks to 20 to 30 racks, in the same trailer length.

Where did you get those measurements from, if the width is off that much, what about the rest.

Kerry
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 02:44 AM UTC
Kerry:
According to the small drawing in "The American Arsenal"
With= 114"
Tire With= 108"
Height= 571/2"
Overall length including drawbar= 356"
C/L to C/L of rear wheels= 40"
C/L to C/L from Forward Rear wheel to forward wheel= 167"
C/L between rear wheel to C/L of forward wheel = 187"
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
You and John are right, I never took into account, about these being off road, military, not your normal trailers. I'm just used to seeing things when they are off road, to have off road tread.

Cause the civilians hauled the tanks with 96", and 102", I was thinking the military could to, but I guess they wanted to give them extra room, I just spoke out of turn. I apologized to John for my mistake, I just had one of them moments, you know how it goes. Wasn't my first, and probably won't be my last. We all have them, just some never admit to them. But I'm man enough to stand up and admit when I'm wrong.

Kerry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
What would be nice is if somebody had some more pictures of the Rodgers trailer, showing the parts you can't see from the regular photos.

I know there is parts down there, but none of the photos I got show them. Even a model directions would be more detailed.

Kerry
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What would be nice is if somebody had some more pictures of the Rodgers trailer, showing the parts you can't see from the regular photos.

I know there is parts down there, but none of the photos I got show them. Even a model directions would be more detailed.

Kerry

PM me Kerry - maybe I have photos of what you seek.

Gunnie
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 12:06 AM UTC
Was there a write up that Mr. Roo done that tells how to get measurements from photos you have, when you have no measurements, outside of the main length, height, width.

To how you can tell what size the beams are that make up the whole trailer, so you can tell the thickness of them, and so on.

I also have pictures from the older version, and it looks like pictures from a newer version of this trailer, and it has me baffled, cause I thought there was only one version.

Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
Yes there was Kerry. It will be back on site in a week or so. You do need a side on picture of the item you wish to scale from though.

Cheers
Cliff
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
Is it in the same place as the pictures of them other trailers?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it in the same place as the pictures of them other trailers?

Is what in the same place as the other pics Kerry?

If you mean the scaling off photos article it will be in the features part of the site I assume.

Cheers
Cliff
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
I looked in the features part, and came across a blank page for this photo scaling program, so it is with them other pictures.

Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:52 AM UTC
Kerry the feature was removed from the data base some weeks ago. It will be put back in that spot within the next couple of weeks.

Roo's truck archives was also removed and will be back within the next couple of months as time permits with much more photos then it had and hopefully with more people using it then before.

Cheers
Cliff
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC
I know somebody can't give me all the inner measurements, but I have a few here I was wondering if somebody could confirm.

Like the side walls on the body, are they a 12" top to bottom,counting the floor and everything, and just 9" just the wall, the 12" is the most important if that is right, the 9" is just a throw in.

I guess the cross beams look like 10" tall by 6" thick

then the main beams look like 14" tall by 4" thick

These measurements will help a lot if you can tell me if they are correct

Then the beams at the front of the trailer, at the nose of the trailer are they just 1' tall then counting the floor in front that makes it 14" total, then again 6" thick beams.
can anybody confirm a few of these measurements.

Now these were supposed to be the real trailer, but if you only have the measurements of the 1/35 model then I got them transfered over to that to.
The main beans would be one tenth of an inch, by 13/32", or 10 mm by 3 mm at 1/35 scale which ever way you have them, I made it just as simple as I can.

Then the cross beams are .3 tenths of an inch by 5/32" or 8mm by 4mm at 1/35 scale

Then the side walls of the trailer are 9mm tall or 11/32" at 1/35 scale does this make it a little easier.
Thank you very much.
After I seen my mistake I changed the figures here, sorry about that.
Kerry
 _GOTOTOP