History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Heros part 1
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:18 PM UTC
Years ago (early 80s) I read a book about Medal of Honor winers. After reading it, two mem became my personal hero's. Oh I had heros before, my dad a WW2 veteran winner of the CIB and BS for Valor at Okinawa who later became a surgeon (still living I am happy to say), and John Wayne. But the first of these men is unusual for someone like me. Being a southener and living in Alabama I studied the Civil war. I knew of the epic struggle btwn the 20th Maine and the 15th Aabama. Upon reading more detail about it and the exploits of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, he had my respect. What made him a hero is what he did after the war. After the surrender at Appomattix, the remnants of the southern army were marching in to deposit their weapons. Lawrence a Major General commanding a division had his troops line up and render a salute to these passing men. He honored fellow countryman as they now were even though he had been one of the reasons for their defeat. He also becme a college president and the Governor of his state. This was years before the movie Gettysburg came out which made him nationally known. It was in 1989 I collected sports cards back then and was in a large store. I had just made my purchase and was teasing the husband of the owner for his being an Auburn man (ROLL TIDE !). I spied the owner sifting through this huge box of mail addressed to some man. I asked who he was and she seemed shocked. He's some great baseball plaayer and I'm head of his fan club. Oh, he's your hero. Mine's Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain ever heard of him. IOf course not. I recounted his credentials then pointed out that her hero "smacked a little white ball with a stick and got paid millions of dollars to do it. I said he ever do anything else for this country? Then I went on my merry way. Tomorrow I'll tell you about my other hero. If you subscribe to Military history magazine you can read about him before I give his story. His nickame was "Old Gimlet Eye" (not mentioned in the article)