_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Metal Foiling
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC

You must have seen them, those gleaming metal-colored aircraft, polished chrome bumbers on an old Chevy.

Looking bright and shiny is exactly what you want to avoid when you need good camouflage - in any army. But this technique may come in handy, even for some military models or dioramas. To brush up your soldiers' cutlery, bajonets or mirrors...

Thin metal sheet is available in hoppy and artist shops in all colors and sizes... I never tried that, but I can imagine the results may be spectacular if you can apply this technique to ammo.... (tank shells).

I'd love to explain how it's done properly, but it would never be as impressive as what you'd find on this link :

http://www.up-link.net/~modeleral/Foil.html

Good luck !

Jan

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
Jan,
A very cool effect indeed. I have added this link to the Techniques directory.

Just as a reminder to everyone (old and new), when you find cool pages (or sites) like these please don't hesitate to use the ADD LINK function on the homepage. I try to catch all the good ones but many slip through. - Thanks

Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
Jan,

it looks like an interesting technique. Since I also build aircraft, it will definitely be useful. But for making ammo, wouldn't you need brass colored foil?? Even the thinnest available brass sheet would still be too thick for this technique, wouldn't it?? I think Bare-Metal Foil comes in Copper color variety also. That might be useful for armor modelers.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
Another way of doing metal finishs is using a new (?for me anyway) product. This way you don't have the "thickness" of the foil. I'm going to try out the chrome soon...hmm I wonder what a M4 would look like completely chromed??

Here's a link of some of the stuff you can do with it: http://www.scale-models.freeserve.co.uk/alclad-2/page10.html

Look at the chrome finish of the Fokker at the bottom of the page!! Simply awesome!!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan,

But for making ammo, wouldn't you need brass colored foil??

David,
I never tried this, but I saw gold/chrome/bronze/copper/red copper foils in graphics shops. I think it's used for interior decorating, restoring old books, etc...
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Not many graphics shops close to where I live, but it's worth a try. I'll have a look around.
I have also acquired a bottle of Alclad II, as Brian mentioned, but have not used it yet. I have some SnJ that I have to use yet too... Guess I have bare-metalphobia... LOL
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 05:52 PM UTC
Bf47,

I'd have to agree with you. Me, my fat fingers, thin foil and small places don't really seem to go together. I tried normal aluminum foil once and ended up foiling my fingers
 _GOTOTOP