Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Which is hotter, Texas or Africa?
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC
I was watching the History channel the other day, and they were doing a show on the German POW's in America. Some of the first POW's were from the Afrika Corps and they were put in POW camps in souther Texas, where they worked on farms. One soldier interviewed said they were amazed at the Mexican farm workers moving so fast. He thought it was because they were used to the heat whick was greater that the heat in Africa. I had always thought of the African campaign as this ultra hot place, nothing but sand everywhere, everyone in constant thirst etc. Now they tell me Texas is hotter? I've been to south west Texas, and while yes it is hot there, it's not THAT awful. Anyone got some further information?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
Yeah, but North Africa is a dry heat...
Sorry, couldn't help it.

Did some interweb research:

The average July temp in Tobruk is 79 degrees F.
By comparison, the AVERAGE high in the summer in Laredo is 98 and the average low is 73. They average 180 days a year where the high is over 90.

That's just damn hot.

Shaun
(This forecast is not endorsed by the Meteorological Society of Anywhere)
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:12 PM UTC
I'm sorry but I didn't even read the responses to the origionl post [ I'm in my cups ] but my wife is most assuredly hotter than Texas, Africa, or Ginger on Gilligans Isle. - Cheyenne - Boy am I going to pay for this tommorrow.
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:43 PM UTC
TEXAS hands down. HUMIDITY
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 09:10 PM UTC
I think you've gotta be a bit more specific. Perhaps the question should read is Texas hotter than North Africa? Or Libya? Or Tunisia? Or Egypt? Sorry, but this is generally a bit of a sore point as Africa is a continent, whereas Texas is a state.

World map

Political map of Africa

US map

Temperature is something that is highly subjective to the person experiencing it. If you base your conclusion on temparature alone, then the temperatures at many of the climate stations in Tunisia, Libya and Eqypt are very similar to those in the state of Texas and the country of Mexico. And these 3 countries and the 1 state are all at similar latitudes. The factors that contribute to the person experiencing higher temperatures in Texas or Mexico is due to the humidity. On averages over 8 years the 3 north African countries are lucky to have 1 day of rain a month!! Whereas a city like San Antonio (which is very close to Tobruk in terms of latitiude - both hovering just off 30 degrees North) has an annual average relative humidity of 70.5, with Houston at 77.
The climates in the 3 African countries are typically extreme desert; hot, dry summers with moderate to rainy winters; Mediterranean along coast.

The reason Mexicans adapt to Texan conditions so well is that they are used to the humidity. The Mexican climates varies so vastly from tropical to desert.

Anyway... time to hop off the box...

P.s. sorry if I went off the deep end on this one, but Africa is such a rich and vastly differing continent in terms of culture, climate, and topology. This can all change so drastically within a distance of 100km - wherever you are on the continent. I highly recommend holidays here!

Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
Stationed once in Texas and Lived in Morocco and traveled from one end of Africa to another over the course of 2+ years.

Take it from me TEXAS is MUCH MUCH HOTTER! :-)
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC
Texas is much hotter than the Africa I was in. 120 in Egypt was NOTHING like 95 in San Antonio or Midland where the humidity makes it feel like a hot wet towel dropped on you.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Easily solved. Hottest place on Earth (From; www.geographyolympics.com and many more incl Guinness Book of World Records):

“The hottest place on earth is Dalol, Denakil Depression in Etheopia. The annual average temperature there is 93 degrees F (34 degrees C).”

Highest recorded temperature:

“136 F at Al' Aziziyah, Libya in September of 1922”

Actually Death Valley (California) runs in a close second to both above: “In Death Valley, it got up to 134 Fahrenheit on July 10, 1913.” And on many days of the year it still records the hottest temperatures.

Thus, sorry Africa is Hotter!

Almost forgot;

Death Valley’s annual average temperature is 78.2 degrees F.
Dallas = 65.4
Houston = 67.9
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 12:47 PM UTC
I think the last couple posters got distracted, The original question involved Germans caprtured in the (North) African desert campaign and sent to Texas. The question implied, "Would the perceived temperature of the North African Desert seem hotter than thath in the agricultuarally viable areas of (presumably) southern Texas?"
My guess would have been yes if there was adequate moisture ti support agriculture/farming.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
Well, seeing how I've never been to Texas nor Africa...all I've got to say is this: I'm sure those German POWs were much happier in America in the heat, then Russia in the cold :-)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
I have to agree with some of the others, Texas...hot..humid..D'oh! Although, it wasn't as miserable as Louisiana could be in July and August. You could stand at the main gate at Ft.Polk and watch the Kiwi fog up and then melt off your jump boots.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 06:32 PM UTC
I live in Dallas, and it gets pretty freakin hot. It's based on humidity. Now the area of Africa being compared is the NOrthern coastal region. What about the Congo? What's the humidity and the temperature like there. Could you imagine hiking through the jungle along the equator. How about the Amazon jungle?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC
Couldn't help but get in on this. I've driven through various parts of Oklahoma, Arizona and Texas.. AND I've been living in Egypt for the past 10 years and I can safely say it's hotter down here. At least for me it is.