TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Gunner Palace
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 02:48 PM UTC
Went to see "Gunner Palace" today. I've been waiting for this one for a while and was not disappointed.

http://www.gunnerpalace.com/

If you're not familiar with the movie, it is a documentary of an Artillery unit (2/3 Field Arty) in Iraq, living in Uday's old (slighty bombed) palace. It shows the soldiers life in an unvarnished light...patrols, recreation, ladyin', shooting, etc.

What I read about it over the past few months indicated that the movie did NOT have an agenda and from my viewpoint I agree. MilBloggers have by in large given it the "thumbs up"and I'd would too. I took my son (age 17 and a likely Army enlistee in the next 18 months) and his buddy. We left the theater without talking at first (OK they are teenagers...) and I think you'll leave the theater thinking for sure, and have a better appreciation of what our troops are going through in Iraq. It was filmed about 12 months ago, so some things have obviously changed.

I'd be curious to see what others think... I thought it was excellent.

Jim

PS It is rated PG13. No blood or gore, no sex, some sexual references and a LOT of soldier language covering all the "usual" topics. If you consider taking kids bear these things in mind. Nothing gratuitious- just very real.
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 04:12 PM UTC
I saw it and and was somewhat dissapointed. It almost seemed at times they were going to make a point of something and then it would break down.(This comment is not intended to be inflamatory) I also think it interesting that they selected what must be the most racially diverse combat arms unit in the U.S. Army. I'm not saying this is bad of course but there was a peice in U.S. News and World Report about a year ago about combat arms units being 85% Anglo. It makes me wonder how an 11Bravo (Infantry) unit would have handled itself in comparison. Having been in the Artillery myself I thought that the CO was WAY TO LAX!! My battery commander would have never tolerated that kind of behavior and I was in Saudi back in 90-91. In theater or not he required utmost discipline and decorum. I also think think they were a bunch of "whiney" brats. God forbid they face an opponent that is actually equipped and trained and highly motivated like the NoKo's. I left thinking that if this is the rank and file soldier of today we are in deep DooDoo if the balloon really goes up.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC
Comments appreciated!

I am always in search of the "real" story...as much as it is ever told. Bearing in mindthis was/is an Arty unit, that got to do the Infantry gig...that is different.

Whiney, ya at times, but who doesn't b*tch about their job. I do and no one shoots at my butt! I can't comment on the lax CO. I hve NOT been there and done that!

Thanks for the input!

Jim