_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Name Plates for your models
Oatster
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hello All,

I was inspired by the tutorial on making the display case and was wondering what other modelers do for name plates or name tags on thier display bases. I go to my local trophy shop with a print out of what I want, and they put it on a tropy plate, I get it back in a week or so, screw it into the base, and I'm all done. The end results look great, but most plates cost me upwards of $8 to $10 US, depending on what I include.

Here's a sample of what $9 gets me:
Sd.Kfz. 164 “Nashorn”
s.Pz.Jäg.Abt. 519
Russia, Spring 1944

I bought an engraving needle for my Dremel to save me the $.15 per letter at the trophy store, but I just can scribe these plates well enough on my own.

I tried searching the internet for a low cost provider, but couldn't really find anything that was cheaper than my local shop.

So here's my question....what do you guys do, how much does it cost, and do you know of a better/cheaper place for me to go on the internet?

Thanks!
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 02:53 AM UTC
Go to a trophy shop.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 03:00 AM UTC
I've done a couple myself. Bought some brass sheet or strip from a model shop, polished it and then coated with varnish. The letters were then added from rub-down dry transfers, sealed with another coat of varnish.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC
I wass just about to say what Geoff said. I've done the same has him. I grabbed a sheet of dry transfer letters form the office supply store in a fancy calligraphy style and a brass strip from the hobby shop. You can get different styles of lettering and different sizes.
 _GOTOTOP