History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Korean War Movie Worth Watching-"Tae Guk Gi "
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
I recently watched an excellent movie about the Korean War from the South Korean Army's perspective. The movie, "Tae Guk Gi", revolves around two brothers who are pressed into service in the opening days of the North's invasion. The story is wonderfully complex and provides the viewer with a fair understanding of the complexities (personal and political) faced by the South Korean soldiers.

The cinematography has that "Saving Private Ryan" feel to it and the combat scenes make the first 20 minutes of Private Ryan seem tame in comparison. Tae Guk Gi is three hours long, and is in sub-titles,but the story is fast paced and keeps you involved.

It's excellent if you have surround sound.

Best Wishes
Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
I think the only US Korean war movies are Bridges at Toko-Ri, Pork Chop hill, and Sayornara. And they are real old
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the only US Korean war movies are Bridges at Toko-Ri, Pork Chop hill, and Sayornara. And they are real old

With that, it really puts the "Forgotten War" into perspective huh?

I wish they would make a few movies about that war. I think the problem is, that it does not have the "glamour" of WWII or the controversy of Vietnam. And that, I find astounding. I think they could make a hell of a movie regarding the Pusan Perimeter or the Frozen Chosin...I'm more than certain that there are stories worthy of repeating from that war. And, those guy's deserve their story to be told.

Dismounting soap box.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:00 PM UTC
Don't forget Inchon...Doug MacArthur's genious at work. I think Chosin would be great, but Hollywood did that type in one of their early Bastogne pictures (can't remember the name) and the depiction of Pusan would be too close to Pork Chop Hill for Hollywoods taste, but Inchon with the intricate planning and timing and then atching it unfold might be a good story to attract more than us war buffs
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC
I'm ashamed to admit it, but my knowledge of Korea is limited. Most of my work was with the B-29s in WWII and it carried over into the Korean War. I've been slowly adding to my Korean collection and knowledge, yet as the saying goes...I've long row to hoe. So essentially it's spotty and revolves around specific units.

Hmmm. we should discuss MacArthur's genious sometime. I'm not so certain I'm sold on it.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 09:44 PM UTC
There should be no doubt that if you are interested in war movies (and I am pretty sure that everyone here is) then you should put this DVD into your player and watch it.

Very powerful....it had me in tears by the end. And I didn't even cry in first grade when we watched "Old Yeller".
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 03:19 PM UTC
I have to agree - Tae Guk Gi was a great movie. Really great story, rent the DVD or On Demand cable - it's worth a look.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 03:00 AM UTC
I've got the movie as well and I love it!

Very good and good for some diorama ideas! :-)

Martin
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:27 PM UTC
yes, this is a great movie.

Over here in Singapore, it's named "Brotherhood".

Only thing is, weird that i didn't see any T-34s in the North's army.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC
Finally got around to watching it -- with the exception of the crappy CGI'd Corsairs, and the whole final part, it is a good movie. I think it tracked very well until the final battle when I thought the whole attack on the Flag Unit, the rescue, the reconciliation, the sacrifice were a bit overdone -- the same story could have been told with a bit more plausible sequence.

Many of the scenes of civilian life, soldiers, food, equipment, etc, tracked very well with what I have seen in several Korean museums -- I have no doubt that many older Koreans 50-60 & up had some problems watching the movie due to memories brought back.

Steve mentioned 3 US Korean War movies; here are the ones I can recall:

All the Young Men
Battle Circus
Battle Hymn
Bridges at Toko-Ri
MASH
McConnell Story
Men in War
Men of the Fighting Lady
Pork Chop Hill

I have the ROK Army history of the war, in 3 volumes, Univ of Nebraska Press, but haven't gotten started on it yet. I kinda wanted to read them with a US Army, US Marines, and a couple general histories so I could compare the "view" of events ....

John
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 312 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hmmmm, I think I may just have to check this one out...how old is the film?...ie when did it come out....just curious.

Thanks for making me aware of this...it sounds good from you are saying.

Eddie
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 05:54 PM UTC
Eddie: Taegukgi was produced in 2004.