History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
American Civil War Trivia
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC
Trivia question #1:
On whose land did the American Civil War begin and end?

Answer: Wilmer McClean. The first battle of the Civil War Bull Run/Manassas was fought in front of his house. A stray cannonball even destroyed his summer kitchen. McClean moved his family to the tiny hamlet of Appomattox Court House, Virginia. It was there that Grant and Lee met to sign the instrument of surrender in his front parlor.

Trivia Question #2:
What happened to the side table on which Lee signed the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia effectively ending the Civil War?

Answer: Phil Sheridan bought the table from Wilmer McClean and presented it with and handwritten note to the wife of the receiver. "Madam, I present you this table on which the instrument of surrender was signed, as a token of appreciation for your husband's galant service and bravery bringing this terrible war to an end." The table and note were then handed to none other than George Armstrong Custer who rode off with the table balanced on his head back to his command.

The table is currently on display at the Custer Museum in Michigan.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
Cool trivia, GSPatton. I've got a couple that you've probalby heard before. I'm not sure whether they're all true or not; may just be speculation.

Union General Ambrose Burnside had some great big mutton chops. This may be where we get the term "side burns" from.

General Joseph Hooker supposedly encouraged the use of prostitutes among his soldiers, hence the term "hookers."

Those are two things I remember running across somewhere in my studies. Can't remember where, though.

It has also long been thought that Union General Abner Doubleday invented the game of baseball, but this has been determined as most unlikely.

Nic
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 02:27 PM UTC
Yes on the "sideburns"..it did come from Burnside (take it from a child of the 60's). Doubleday - you bet, he did invent baseball. But, give the man a break, he did not invent the infield-fly rule, designated hitters, or agents.

As for Hookers...I like it, but...my wife says I need to go...sorry.

Mike
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
And then there is the fine example of, I believe, Union general Sedgwick at the siege of Petersburg. On an inspection tour the general paraded himself in full view of the Confederates a half mile away, and was cautioned by his troops to be more careful as Johnny Reb had sharpshooters about. "Nonsense!", replied the general, "they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...."

Whereupon he was shot dead with a minie ball through his forehead.

Greg
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
And then there is the fine example of, I believe, Union general Sedgwick at the siege of Petersburg. On an inspection tour the general paraded himself in full view of the Confederates a half mile away, and was cautioned by his troops to be more careful as Johnny Reb had sharpshooters about. "Nonsense!", replied the general, "they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...."

Whereupon he was shot dead with a minie ball through his forehead.

Greg
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
It was at Spotsylvania, but you are right in how it happened. Too many deaths of that kind in that war........

Nic