Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Squad Leader or Advanced Squad Leader
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:02 PM UTC
Anybody here ever play this game form Avalon Hill? I have been toying with picking up a copy from ebay as there was a time when I used to love these wargames. Can it be played solitare? Is there a decent squal level pc game that is like this classic?

Thanks
Paul
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
Yeah, you can play it solo, but it's a lot like playing checkers solo: not a whole lot of fun. It's much better when you have somebody playing against you. I used to play a lot about 30 years ago, but all my friends at that time either moved or lost interest. I'm not sure about a pc version.

Jesse
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC
I have this game. It's a rather complicated board game. I'm guessing Command and Conquer series might be close pc game
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hastyp,
I was a squad leader junkie! I loved that game! You can play it by yourself but it definately is like having a game of chess by yourself. There is a free game you can get off the internet called Steel Panthers World at War SPWAW. Its totally free from Matrix games. If you do a search for SPWAW you should find it. It is freakin' awesome. It is just like the old squad leader games. The downloaded game has about 300 scenarios to choose from. Everything from battles in the polish campain to the pacif and russian fronts. It also has several long campaigns and gives you the ability to design your own historic or what if battles. you can also play head to head over the internet with a buddy or play by e-mail. bottom line.... you'll love it! :-)
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
Thanks Art

Just downloaded Steel Panthers and it is very good.

Cheers
HastyP
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 02:46 PM UTC
The Pacific scenarios with Marines trying to dig japanese off fortified islands & etc, are just plain brutal -- I loved everyone of them !!!

Another good series, maybe available cheaply in the old games bins are Talonsoft's BattleGround Series (& their Pacific scenarios are also really tough!!).

And SPWAW has some Campaign add-ons that are interesting.

I used to do board wargaming in the 70's - 80's, mostly PBM thru AHIKS. Got too busy & dropped out, then picked up computer games. Kinda dropped out of them now because of the focus on online & shooter & because my interests shifted.

I remember the original Squad Leader & then ASL -- just got to be too complicated to be enjoyable & too expensive to keep up with.

John
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
Paul,
No problemo dude. Like I said I love the game. Enjoy!!