_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Sources for scratch building
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 12:04 AM UTC
I was trying to find some kind of drawings of military trailers, I tried google, and when you type in heavy, trailers they offer you motorcycle trailers, so I thought maybe I'll go with motorcycle then they give me trailers for snowmobiles.

No matter what it was, nothing to what I wanted or could use to build anything off of. Would anybody know where a person could buy some 1/35 scale plans for military trailers, hopefully the heavy tank hauling ones of WWII on up.
Thank you for you time.

Kerry
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
Try this site Kerry. http://www.jedsite.info/content/jed1.html
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
Thank you Dave for that address, but what I was really wanting was the drawing of the trailers that they used to haul tanks during WWII, I was in hopes to build all them heavy trailers of that era.

Kerry
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Dave for that address, but what I was really wanting was the drawing of the trailers that they used to haul tanks during WWII, I was in hopes to build all them heavy trailers of that era.

Kerry

Let me see if I can come up with something for you. You might PM our good friend Mr. Roo. He has a rather extensive collection of photos and info on WW2 era vehicles.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:28 PM UTC
Kerry:

That is a tough request and also a bit too large & general.

Typical military vehicle drawings, at modeller level of detail, simply do not exist except maybe in manufacturer, military, or museum files somewhere, if even there. And they don't typically show up on the web. Some of the info is available commercially, but may be costly.

Manuals, WW2 & less now, may give you a simple picture with basic dimensions -- such as the website Animal pointed you to. A second source, other than the vehicle/trailer operator & maintenance manuals, is the transportability guidance manual/information which usually gives a few more dimensions than the basic equipment manual.

After that, your option is usually to find a prototype & measure it, or find photos of one & do some interpolation of the photos from that.

Whatever, it usually takes a lot of research and time, because you will be working on little info, spread across many sources. There is no simple solution.

Just to give you one example, I have the TM for the M26 & M15 Dragon Wagon, and 3 or 4 recent books on the vehicle. None, repeat none, of them have a 3-view drawing of the vehicle & trailer -- in fact they don't give much in the way of dimensions.

I dabble in this stuff, but don't have time to work general "things" -- do you have 1 or 2 specific trailers you would like to work with ?? I'd be glad to help you.

John
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:59 PM UTC
Kerry,
First off----how big ,what era,what country,and how am I going to send you A3 copies.
OK,--thats sorted out---starts me digging in the attic--told you before filing system is ,-----have a few ...not a lot........Israeli....some others but mostly uk.
Give me a bit of space to work out the break-down ---(send as scaled parts)
aye
barv
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hello Barv, glad to hear from you, what I like is 1/35 scale if at all possible, for I'm real slow at breaking things down, but I can do them in time, I just need help sometimes, but I'm getting better at the changing things over.

I'm not particular on what countries, just as long as they are trailers that haul tanks. US, British, down under, German, or any that used them in WWII on up.

Everybody has their set up, and I want to be a little different, so any help will be greatly appreciated, just let me know what I need to do.

Kerry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
John, I don't know none of their names, just that I seen some WWII trailers, back when we down loaded all that stuff from that one site that Grumpy was nice enough to get for everybody, that was when I first got inspired to do this project, they showed a trailer with a tank on it.

That was when they were showing some prime movers that I never even knew existed, but that trailer I had never seen before either, that had that tank on it, was on there to. Looked like a 4 wheel trailer, with 2 steering I think, or maybe they were duals on the steering, it's been a while sense I looked at it.

Now like flat beds they can be easy to figure out the size just by the picture, cause of the stake holes in the side, they are 2' apart, so you just add them up and you get the footage of the trailer, and a 96" and a 102" always look different, you can tell them apart without guessing.

The only thing is when they don't have them stake holes then you got nothing to measure off of, like your drop decks or vans, or ones that haul tanks, but it is the other stuff that you need to look at anyway.

I know I got a tall order, that is why I am willing to except anything that is useful, if you couldn't build anything from it, then I couldn't either probably, you know what I mean
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
I know there has been a lot of scratched built trailers that has been showed on the site, it wouldn't take much to make copies of their blue prints, if they could come up with a reasonable price, I know everything takes time and money.

But what does it cost to make copies and send them, it's not like they haft to go find all new information, and I'm sure they wouldn't throw them away, not something that valuable, that would be like throwing away money.

The only thing I get paid only once a month, so if it isn't around the first of the month, I haft to wait until the next month before I can buy from them, cause usually everything is picked out, and bought the first week or 2, then the other 2 weeks I haft to wait, I guess they call it controlled living, things aren't as good as to when I was able to work, but I think I get by well.

I wished I could work again, but that doesn't seem possible, believe me nobody could want disability. Working for a living is a way better life, and I would trade everything, to be able to do that, except my little dog Fanny, she is my whole life now.

So, if anybody has some for sale, let me know, and I'll get back with you on pm whether I can afford them or not, cause that is why I want to scratch build, is to save money, and have the fun of saying I built that, not putting together somebody else's work.

Then if everything works out OK then we'll exchange mailing addresses for payment and shipment.
Thank you for your time.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP