Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
New words for 2005 Work-place vocabulary
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I found it quite funny...
:-)

New entries for the Oxford English Dictionary 2005:

TESTICULATING - Waving your arms around and talking bollocks.

BLAMESTORMING - Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

SEAGULL MANAGER - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.

ASSMOSIS - The process by which people seem to absorb success and advancement by sucking up to the boss rather than working hard.

BOBFOC - The new 'temp' with a "Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Crimewatch"

SALMON DAY - The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die.

CUBE FARM - An office filled with cubicles.

PRAIRIE DOGGING - When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people's heads pop up over the walls to see that's going on. (This also applies to applause from a promotion because there may be
cake.)

MOUSE POTATO - A fat, bloated individual that can't be arsed to leave his cubicle - either for a fag or for lunch - until its time to go home! He is the on-line, wired generation's answer to the couch potato.

SITCOMs - Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids or start a "home business".

STRESS PUPPY - A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE - The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

ADMINISPHERE - The rarefied organisational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the "adminisphere" are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve. This is often affiliated with the dreaded "administrivia" - needless paperwork and processes.

404 - Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located.

OHNOSECOND - That minuscule fraction of time in which you realise that you've just made a BIG mistake (e. g. you've hit 'reply all')

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
Blamestorming was far too democratic for the set-up we used to have here in the old days, it was more like 'Scape-goating'. Now that those gnarled old pieces of dead wood are gone, guess who the blame magically attaches too?

Percussive maintenance is a popular one, I'm still shaking flecks of plastic out of my mouse after hitting 'No' when asked if I wanted to save the report I had spent all day writing..... ahem

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:45 AM UTC
Gotta love it! I'll put some to good use TODAY!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
I love them all. Soooooo true.

Along the same line.

David Letterman's 10 top drawbacks to working in a cubicle.

10. Being told to "think outside the box" when you're in a stinkin' box all day long.

9. Not being able to check e-mail attachments without turning around to see who's behind you.

8. Cubicle walls do not offer much protection from any kind of gun fire.

7. That nagging feeling that if you press the right button, you'll get a piece of cheese

6. Lack of roof rafters for the noose.

5. The walls are too close together for the hammock to work right.

4. 23 power cords - 1 outlet.

3. Prison cells are not only bigger, they also have beds.

2. The carpet has been there since 1976 and shows more signs of life than your coworkers.

And the Number 1 drawback to working in a cubicle is...

1. You can't walk out and slam the door when you quit!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thanks rudi, my english teacher wanted me to use soem bigger works in my essays, i think you solved the problem :-)

o, and rodger, being in a school isnt so great
When you slam hte door to leave your xpelled, and your forced to come back with apologies
you dont have walls between each student to protect you from gunfire, and according to the news of high school shoot outs, they would be very usefull

And The budgets are to low to afford hammocks

Frank
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE - The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

found a kick out of those, that one in particular :-)

great list
-shain