_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Model putty?need fast answer please
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:47 PM UTC
I have just orded the new AFV Tiger and am going to be doing the zimmerit,can you tell me what putty should i buy,is milliput ok and what grade will do best.i need a fast answer as am just about to order some.many thanks
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:14 PM UTC
Milliput is ok for the purpose but , i think u could also consider buing some resin sheets of zimmerit like ATAK or any other company , theyr just fine and save u a lot of labor. Just an opinion
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
The Cavalier resin zim is excellent I have heard. I have a couple tigers and a panther needing zim and to be honest am a bit put off by trying to make it from putty. Thats just me though. Cheers Kevin
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
I know about resin zimmerit from cavalier,but its used for the Tamiya kit.i want to do my own so i could do some battle damage.plus its a leaning experiance.i have orded squadron green putty ill see what its like.cheers for your answers .many thanks
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:18 AM UTC
Karl, that is about the best way, jump in, and get your feet wet, experiment with sprue or places that can't be seen to try new ideas, that was how I started.

Then it might take a while to get the hang of it, then others catch it right off, everybody is different, to me more work is a lot better then more money to throw at the model, not only that, you get the satisfaction of saying that is your work, not somebody else's on that AFV.

Now you know your petroleum based putties will melt the plastic some what like your Squadron and others like that, and your 2 parts won't, the more petroleum they have in them the more they eat, and the more careful you haft to be with them, but the good thing about them is they bond with the plastic so well like the Bondo I use.

Now I only use Bondo when there is only tiny parts to be smoothed out cause like I said to much could ruin your model, so you haft to be careful, but it has it's uses, and I use it a lot, cause it is real cheap compared to Squadron, and does just as good of a job, just you can't do as big of a job as you can with squadron, but I have never found that job yet anyway on building any new model.

Kerry
BigTon
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
entire network: 102 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:55 PM UTC
I like squadron Green putty for that kind of work...but that's just me...
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hi,

I am using Tamiya's putty. It dried up pretty fast and I did a search n found some chat about using Nail polish remover to liquify it. Tried it and it works great!

Can be quite messy at some time, but the results are simply fantastic. Be careful which Nail polish remover u used though, some will disolve the plastic mold beyond repair. I am using Maybeline's (pinkish color) and it does not affect the plastic at all.

Cheers!
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 449 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
R&J Zimmer-it-rite is cool.. cause keeping the tools wet with water, keeps em clean.. I think that's kind of convenient , as nothing would be worse during a long job, than having your tools all plugged up with putty..

_GOTOTOP