History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Doolittle Raid
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
On 18 April 1942, sixteen B-25s took off from the carrier Hornet to bomb the Japanese Home Islands. Asymmetric warfare in its finest form. Should we have done more? Some examples. Was a shore bombardment feasible? Surface harassment raids by submarines? Marine Raider attack? What do you think?
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
I think given the limited resources that the Pacific Fleet has at this time in 1942, any of the aforementioned tasks would be leaving the door open for a Japanese main fleet strike at a vital point (why did they not attempt a return to Pearl Harbor?). The subs were stretched thin and were aggressively patrolling, especially in the South Seas. The primary task was to halt the Japanese juggernaut that was overtaking the Phillipines, Java and seriously threatening the Australian coast. I think if there were sufficient resources, Roosevelt may have tried to carry the fight in these areas, leaving the Doolitle Raid to the symbolic role it represents today.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think given the limited resources that the Pacific Fleet has at this time in 1942, any of the aforementioned tasks would be leaving the door open for a Japanese main fleet strike at a vital point (why did they not attempt a return to Pearl Harbor?). The subs were stretched thin and were aggressively patrolling, especially in the South Seas. The primary task was to halt the Japanese juggernaut that was overtaking the Phillipines, Java and seriously threatening the Australian coast. I think if there were sufficient resources, Roosevelt may have tried to carry the fight in these areas, leaving the Doolitle Raid to the symbolic role it represents today.

Bob--you raise an extremely interesting point---why didn't the Japanese return to Pearl Harbor?
DJ
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC
I’ll jump in on both questions:

First, I think the Doolittle Raid was similar to the story of the Three Bears – it was just right. Anything less, and it pales in significance. Anything more, and you unnecessarily risk precious resources in an admittedly symbolic act. It poked the Japanese in the eye three months after Pearl Harbor, giving U.S. morale a huge lift while undermining that of Nippon. And, given that it drove the Japanese Navy to attempt the Midway invasion, it probably accomplished far more then the planners originally envisioned.

As to why Japan didn’t make a second attempt at Pearl, I can only make some conjectures. I think I’ve read where the Japanese were constrained to some degree by shipping. It needed its tankers and cargo vessels to move material southward in its conquest of Southeast Asia. Maybe that was the case? I also think that they may have realized that with U.S. carriers prowling about, and a submarine net to evade, it may have been too costly to attempt a second strike or invasion of America’s largest Pacific base. I’m not sure that was their thinking, but when you look at what happened when they attempted the Midway/Aleutians campaign, maybe Pearl was okay as a “surprise attack” target, but too tough a nut after hostilities were actually begun.

Mike
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
I believe we all agree the Doolittle Raid achieved its ends and then some. Following their triumph, the Philippines capitulates in May of 1942 ("Heads bowed, but not in shame...") If you were the Commander and Chief would you have retain MacArthur in the Pacific? Remember his lethargic reactions in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor (Clark Field, Cavite, etc.)
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Well, I'm not a fan of MacArthur but relieving him? No, probably not. As he was the only US commander fighting at all, it might have been bad for morale. And while I don't mean to excuse his lethargic reactions I don't think he was alone. The attitude that the Japanese we racially inferior and could not possibly carry out complex military operations was still prevalent in the US even after Pearl Harbor should have demolished it. Big blind spot we had with respect to Japan.

Greg
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
That's an even tougher question. Not only his lethargic reaction, but he let himself get bottled up on the Bataan Peninsula. I think due to his reputation, you have to let him retain command, but this sure wasn't his finest hour (see Inchon). Of course, my opinion may be jaded by my Uncle, who was a bazookaman in the campaign to retake the Philippines. Whenever MacArthur's name came up, he would launch into a tirade.

Mike

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
I think the Japanese lacked the resources at hand to push the battle to Pearl with their sea force directly after the air raid. Just like we lacked the ability to push the fight to the Japanese mainland during the Doolittle Raid. The loss would be too great if the land based forces sunk the attacking naval forces.

MacArthur was a good leader, but he underestimated the Japanese in 1941. I also think he was let down by the administration when they decided to concentrate on Europe and leave the Far East for later.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First, I think the Doolittle Raid was similar to the story of the Three Bears – it was just right

MJ,

I love your analogy, easy to understand, clear and concise!

I love the other question regarding a Japanese push or second raid into Pearl Harbor. Many years ago I had a professor who taught a class in US military history,to good to pass up! We argued over the same question, I always felt, and still do, that the logistic requirements to sustain operations over the vastness of the Pacific were impossible for the Japanese. He felt that the Japanese blew the war in the first month by not seizing Pearl Harbor and the rest of Hawaii. He had never served in the military and based most of his assumptions on a "Risk" like set of parameters that allowed him to just pick up pieces at will and move them here and there. I think most of us are aware of the tremendous difficulties of sustaining operations on a large scale over long and hostile distances. So, why didn't the Japanese return...because they also understood the tremendous risk and difficulty over those great distances with a now openly hostile US Navy wounded but not out.

Rick Cooper
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

First, I think the Doolittle Raid was similar to the story of the Three Bears – it was just right

MJ,

I love your analogy, easy to understand, clear and concise!

I love the other question regarding a Japanese push or second raid into Pearl Harbor. Many years ago I had a professor who taught a class in US military history,to good to pass up! We argued over the same question, I always felt, and still do, that the logistic requirements to sustain operations over the vastness of the Pacific were impossible for the Japanese. He felt that the Japanese blew the war in the first month by not seizing Pearl Harbor and the rest of Hawaii. He had never served in the military and based most of his assumptions on a "Risk" like set of parameters that allowed him to just pick up pieces at will and move them here and there. I think most of us are aware of the tremendous difficulties of sustaining operations on a large scale over long and hostile distances. So, why didn't the Japanese return...because they also understood the tremendous risk and difficulty over those great distances with a now openly hostile US Navy wounded but not out.

Rick Cooper

Rick--once again you uncover the Achilles heel of all maneuver---Logistics. The Pacific is a big, big pond. I think you are absolutely right when you say that wiser Japanese minds clearly understood the problem with sustainment (they evacuated Kiska for the same reason). Can someone comment on the size of the 1940 US fleet in comparison to other Nations? How many BBs did we have for example going into WW II? If my gut feeling is correct, we had large number of capable vessels. .
DJ
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
I don't know how well the US sub fleet would have stopped another Japanese push given their problems with faulty torps. I would have to say the JAps did try a second time to take Pearl. It was called the battle of Midway. Had they taken the Island their fleet would have had ground base support that could reach almost to pearl.

Josh Weingarten
aka shiryon
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know how well the US sub fleet would have stopped another Japanese push given their problems with faulty torps. I would have to say the JAps did try a second time to take Pearl. It was called the battle of Midway. Had they taken the Island their fleet would have had ground base support that could reach almost to pearl.

Josh Weingarten
aka shiryon

Josh--having been to Midway Island, I can't see where it would be much of a fleet anchorage point. Also, the distance from Midway to Pearl would have taxed the fuel and bomb capacity of any Japanese tactical aircraft. I see the conquest of Midway by the Japanese as more a liability than an asset. I will grant you that it would have been another shot to morale in the US, but its strategic or tactical value to the Japanese is dubious in my opinion.
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Josh--having been to Midway Island, I can't see where it would be much of a fleet anchorage point. Also, the distance from Midway to Pearl would have taxed the fuel and bomb capacity of any Japanese tactical aircraft. I see the conquest of Midway by the Japanese as more a liability than an asset. I will grant you that it would have been another shot to morale in the US, but its strategic or tactical value to the Japanese is dubious in my opinion.
DJ

I would say the value of Midway to the Japanese would be in denying its use to our forces. It was an important logistical base for US Subs for the entire war.
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

believe we all agree the Doolittle Raid achieved its ends and then some. Following their triumph, the Philippines capitulates in May of 1942 ("Heads bowed, but not in shame...") If you were the Commander and Chief would you have retain MacArthur in the Pacific? Remember his lethargic reactions in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor (Clark Field, Cavite, etc.)
DJ

I don't understand what you mean by lethargic reaction? MacArthur must have known that the cavalry was not going to appear over the horizon. He fought the Japanese Army to a draw with the forces he had. They had to bring in an additional Army to finish the job. I'm not a big MacArthur fan but it seems to me he did a credible job with what he had.
v/r,
Cob
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
I have to agree with the "just right" element of the Doolittle Raid. It did risk half of our Pacific carrier forc (the "why" of the early launch of the raiders, after discovery), but only risked 16 medium bombers, a force of which the Army Air Corps had a large number, at the time.

The Japanese did not come back to Pearl, because they could no longer gain the surprise necessary. After Midweay, they lacked the force necessary.

From what I can find teh US had 16 battleships in active status at the time of Pearl Harbor, 8 in teh Pacific and 8 in the Atlantic. There were 8 (Langley, Saratoga, Lexington, Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Ranger & Wasp) aircraft carriers, with, I beieve 6 in the Pacific and two in teh Atlantic, though it may have been 5 & 3. The US also had 10 BBs building and 6 more BB & 2 Battle Cruisers authorized in late '41.

Ranger
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to agree with the "just right" element of the Doolittle Raid. It did risk half of our Pacific carrier forc (the "why" of the early launch of the raiders, after discovery), but only risked 16 medium bombers, a force of which the Army Air Corps had a large number, at the time.

The Japanese did not come back to Pearl, because they could no longer gain the surprise necessary. After Midweay, they lacked the force necessary.

From what I can find teh US had 16 battleships in active status at the time of Pearl Harbor, 8 in teh Pacific and 8 in the Atlantic. There were 8 (Langley, Saratoga, Lexington, Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Ranger & Wasp) aircraft carriers, with, I beieve 6 in the Pacific and two in teh Atlantic, though it may have been 5 & 3. The US also had 10 BBs building and 6 more BB & 2 Battle Cruisers authorized in late '41.

Ranger

Jeff--do you have any source that indicates where we ranked against Japan and Great Britian in terms of naval power?
thanks
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:24 AM UTC
DJ - I have an atlas somewhere that shows naval power by capital ships by country. I will have to locate it (probly rescue from the attic )

Jeff
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
As a result of the Washington and London naval arms treaties of 1922 and 1935 the US fleet was among the world's largest. The agreements were for capital ship ratios as follow:

5:5:3:1.75:1.75

Whereby the US and Britain had five each (or multiples thereof,), Japan had three, and both France and Italy had 1.75. There were negotiated exceptions in certain ship classes, but essentially the US and Britain were allowed substantially larger fleets because of their large coastlines or overseas protectorates that needed protection. The treaties also set limits on overall ship displacement and main gun size, limits that some powers ignored and others skirted the margins of.

Greg
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
DJ - I have stumbled upon teh starting lineups for the Pacific, circa 1941, still looking for Atlantic/Med.

.......................Royal Navies...Dutch Flt........US Asiatic FLT....US Pac FLT......Japanese Flt
Battleships...............2....................0............................0.........................8........................10
Carriers.....................0....................0............................0.........................3........................11
Cruisers..................10....................3............................3.......................21.......................40
Destroyers..............13..................13..........................13......................67.....................112
Submarines..............0..................15..........................29......................27.......................63

The Royal Navies, I believe includes Australia and New Zealand forces

I'll keep looking for more definitive info on World Navies at start of WW2

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ - I have stumbled upon teh starting lineups for the Pacific, circa 1941, still looking for Atlantic/Med.

Royal Navies Dutch Pc Flt US Asiatic FLT US Pac FLT Japanese Flt
Battleships 2 -- -- 8 10
Carriers -- -- -- 3 11
Cruisers 10 3 3 21 40
Destroyers 13 13 13 67 112
Submarines 0 15 29 27 63

The Royal Navies, I believe includes Australia and New Zealand forces

I'll keep looking for more definitive info on World Navies at start of WW2

Jeff

Jeff--if I correctly read your figures (nice job by the way), it would appear the USN was a formidable force. I can appreciate the tricky interplay of numbers, tactics, and strategy can negate matehmatic parity, however, why do you think we did not aggressively go after the Japanese right after Pearl?
DJ
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
Without battleships, I would think it would be difficult to be very aggressive. Something like 7 out of those 8 US battleships were damaged at Pearl Harbor, three of them being destroyed. Without battleships to protect their three carriers, I can understand why the US did not aggressively strike back immediately after the Japanese bombings of Pearl Harbor.

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Without battleships, I would think it would be difficult to be very aggressive. Something like 7 out of those 8 US battleships were damaged at Pearl Harbor, three of them being destroyed. Without battleships to protect their three carriers, I can understand why the US did not aggressively strike back immediately after the Japanese bombings of Pearl Harbor.

Nic

Nic--let's review the end result of the Pearl harbor attack for a moment. There are 8 BBs at Pearl. They are Arizona (BB39), West Viriginia (BB48), Tennessee (BB43), Pennsylvania (BB38), Nevada (BB39), Mayland (BB46), and California (BB44). Now the two that are demolished are Oklahoma and Arizona. Nevada get underway during the attack, Pennsylvania is in dry dock and suffers no torpedo hits. Several of the BBs are are damaged but not disabled. We had several other BBs on the East and West coast. The re distribution of assets would have resolved the temporary loss of six BBs. I would fault the leadership of the Navy for not getting their act together until August of 1942. Even then, they took a few bloody bleedings from the Japanese. As Jeff pinted out the US was a major Naval power going into WW II. I think they could have done much better.
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:32 PM UTC
I have updated my earlier post with the Pacific Flett starting line-ups. I keep forgetting what happens to tables when a post is submitted.

Based on what I have read, the US Navy was intially in a counterpunch mode: The Japanese had the intiative until Midway. The US owned very little ocean where they could operate achorages except in South Pacific: Somoa, New Caledonia (actually Free French), New Zealand & Australia. They had some airfields on small atolls between Hawaii and Australia which allowed them to ferry land based aircraft towards Australia.

yes they were cautious, because their carriers were all the offensive power currently available. They did conduct a serious of carrier raids against atolls in the eastern Pacific and in the Solomons prior to Guadalcanal. At that time all they had were cruisers and destroyers to help defend their carriers. With space and time to give, and with the Japanese naval codes in hand, they could conduct spoiling attacks (or more like ambushes) to stop Japanese expansion (Coral Sea & Midway).

Once the new fast battleships came from the Atlantic, or out of the shipyards, some of the less damaged PH-veterans were back in less than 6-months, along with more cruisers and the Wasp from the Atlantic and Saratoga out of overhaul, they had the power to go on the offensive, resulting first in the Solomon campaign, then moving to the Gilberts.

The Navy was also, like the Army had to do later, shaking out it old peace-time commanders and replacing them with the new wartime commanders, especially finding those that could operate with carriers. I have conducted several simulations on teh early Pacific War, and if teh US gets too aggressive, too early, it can become a disaster.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC
DJ I agree it would have taxed the Japs to reach pearl by air. What I believe Midway would have given them was a stepping stone to pearl. A place where ships could join up with CAP being supplied by land based forces.If my geographic knowledge serves me Midway is actually the beginning or just about the begnning of a chain of Islands that the hawaian are part of. With just three Carriers and few if other support ships the US would have bee hard pressed to defend a gainst a Jap version of ISland hopping.

As to why we didn't chase the JAps right after pearl the loss of our BBs is one the other is lack of carrier parity and third is AA. My understanding is most ships in 1940 lacked the levels of AA protection seen at the end of the war. The advent of AA cruisers to protect capital ships and thir own increased AA copacity allowed them to defend against the new air onslaughts.Last piddling away valuable naval assets without the troops to backup and hold key areas or retake captured ones would have been a mistake and the Europe first plan sealed any hope of moving against JApan quickly.(gotta learn to type)

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:22 AM UTC
OK, here goes. DJ asked for it. There may be minor irregularities in my numbers for the WW2 starting fleets of the major combatants. There were a lot of ships in building (those would have more than doubled teh Soviet Fleet, those on ways were either scrapped or captured by Germans except for those at Valdivostok). Building ships are not included.

...................................BB/BC.........Pocket BB...........CV/CVL.............CA/CL...........Misc
Australia.....................................................................................................4
Britain...........................12................................................5......................53
France............................9.................................................1......................19
Germany........................3.....................3..................................................11.................2
Italy..................................6.........................................................................21
Japan............................10..............................................11.....................40
Netherlands...............................................................................................4
Soviet Union................2/1.......................................................................3/1
United States...............16................................................7......................38

The Germans had the three "pocket battleships" used for commerce raiders, and two pre-dreadnaughts for coastal defence in the Baltic (they did bombard Poland). The USSR had 2 battleships and 3 cruisers in teh Baltic and one battleship and one cruiser in the Black Sea.

Hope this is of use.

Jeff