History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
German Super-Heavy Mortars
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:48 PM UTC
No luck with the armor troops above---Does anyone know if the Germans used their 600mm Karl morser prototype in action along side of the 6 production vehicles, or did it spend the war at the proving grounds collecting rust? I have the 1/72 Hasegawa Karl, and they based it upon the prototype instead of one of the production guns. The main external difference is the number of road wheels. The prototype had 8 and the production vehicles had 11.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 05:35 PM UTC
I think they were used in Leningrad, was it not? Or maybe Servestopol? (the spelling is definitely wrong, but I am sure some History guru here will correct me)
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC
Have you tried the 60cm Karl Mortar site from One35th? It talks about some action.

Cheers,
Linz
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
I know that guns in either or both their 600mm or 540mm fittings were used at Brest-Litovsk, Lemberg, Sevestapol, Leningrad, Warsaw, Bucharest, and 2 had been dispatched to shell Paris in 1944, but both were captured after allied Jabos chewed up their trains. No mention is made about the history and fate of the prototype gun, "Adam."
Some rocket scientist at Aberdeen Proving grounds destroyed 2 K5 280mm guns and 1 Karl back in the 50's or early 60's. The Russians have 1 of the production guns at their museum at Kubinka, but no mention of Adam.