Discuss general weathering topics here.
need advice
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 02:22 AM UTC
I want to weather my M-41 Walker Bulldog, but I do not know how.

I've heard of washes, but what colors should I use? the tank is painted MM Dark Green.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC
Use either dark brown or black heavily thinned. Start with a shade that looks basically like dirty thinner. Flip your tank over and start on the underside, around the area where the road wheel arms are. That way you can see what it looks like and get a little practice before you try on the upper visable surfaces.

There are a couple of techniques to try. The first type is using a big soft brush to literally repaint the entire vehicle with this "dirty thinner".

The second technique is called a "pin wash". Using a fine tipped brush, dip it in the thinner. Then apply the point to cracks, crevices and around bolt head details to just add some shading to recessed areas.

When this is all done and dried, you can use some tan or a lighter shade of green to "drybrush" the model. This is done by using a fairly stiff, flat brush and getting just a little paint on it. Run the brush back and forth across a piece of cardboard until there is very little paint left. The sweep the sruface of your kit with the drybrush. The lighter color will highlight the surfaces that protrude and bring out some details.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi,
Nice looking AFV there. Godo clean build. I'm by far no expert on washes, but I usually will start my models out with a wash of Grumbacher's van Dyck Brown oil mixed with about 90% of this company's thinner. I like doing what is called a 'pin wash' effect, I think it's called, where I just use the tip of a very small brush and just touch it to or around any raised detail areas and let the capillary action move the color around. Letting it 'run' into recesses and flow around bolt heads, tooling, hinges, etc. What you're looking for is just that hint of shadow that sort of gives a 3-dimensional effect to all the details on the vehicle. Then if I want a little rust in certain areas, I mix up some Burt Sienna, maybe adding some of the van dyck brown to it if the color of the burnt sienna is to bright, and again just using the 'pin wash' effect to add it where i wish it to go.

After a hour or so I will check to see if there are any areas of the vehicle where the color of the wash has flowed out into the open, so to speak, or into areas that I don't want it in, and use a Q-tip that has been lightly dipped in some of the thinner and squezzed out and lightly go over those areas to remove some of the wash color. Now remember lightly here as sometimes if you happen to rub a bit too hard you can remove both the wash color and the paint as well, which I've done a few occasions by getting a little to phsyical .

Just practice and do a little area at a time and then look it over and see if you are getting the effect you wavt.

Good luck and takecare, Sgirty
 _GOTOTOP