_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Solder sizes?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
I was just at Radio Shack, and it seems they only have 5 sizes of solder to choose from, well I forget the size of that bus wire they have, but it only comes in one size so it don't count for much.

The sizes I found there was .015"- .022"- .032"- .050" and .062" now that's quite a bit, but there is quite a few things we are trying to duplicate, and I don't think 5 will be enough, is there any other place where a person can buy other sizes of solder, just in case we run in to that odd ball thing that requires a different size then what I'm already showing.

Thank you a head of time.

Kerry
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hey Kerry you can try some computer stores, thats where i get some of my small wires and sodler from. Here are a few web sites that may help also..
http://www.computronics.com.au/clearance/multicore/solderwire.shtml

http://www.sra-solder.com/wire.htm
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:26 AM UTC
Joe has a place here with a pretty good selection, they have
0.35mm
0.45mm
0.56mm
0.71mm
0.90mm
1mm
1.25mm
1.60mm
2.24mm
3.15mm

Now that is a lot to choose from, but they mention something about the international shipping might seem pretty stiff, and I wasn't able to find that out yet, but to buy all these will also be quite an investment, for I noticed some going for 25 dollars.

Now I got to check if there is a cheaper one of that size, I'm not to clear on their pricing, and they are talking grams in quantity, another, not sure of, but here in the US Radio Shack only has 5 different kink of diameters
0.015"
0.022"
0.32"
0.50"
0.62"
Which I'm sure a couple of these are just about the same size as the metric ones, is it the 0.015"=0.38mm but they got a 0.35mm would you be able to tell the difference between the two.

Then there is the 0.022", but .020"=0.50mm so they got a 0.56mm and the 0.22" wouldn't they be about the same, and would anybody else know of any others that are so close that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Thank you a head of time
Kerry
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Kerry
If you have a sporting goods store in your area that has fly tying equipment they may have lead wire.
I have gotten .005 and .010 dia.
HTH
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 09:42 PM UTC
Ron there used to be fishing supply places everywhere in the 60's, but now they are mainly just bait shops, nothing fancy outside of your normal fishing needs.

Then for trout clubs, there is one of them everywhere you turn with all the underground springs around here, but everyone of them are private, and where they get their supplies, now I have no idea.

I looked in the phone book last night, and there was just a couple that even mention full supplies, but they are long distance, and far away, cause most of the fishing done here is by the poor working man, only the rich go for the trout, and they keep it fenced off, and private.

Now there is just about a whole page of bait shops, that got supplies to fish in the lake, but not fly fishing.

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
Know any nurses or doctors?Don't know the diameter of common suture line but it might work. Field and Stream,or some other fishing mag might have an advert for a supply house too.
Rick
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:42 AM UTC
I bought a set of lead wire from an online fishing supplies site. The sizes included were:

I think I paid around $15.00. The manufacturer of the lead wire is Spirit River but I cannot remember the name of the site.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
Well it took me a long time before I found a place that sold lead wire, but I found one, if anybody else needs to know, this is the address of the first place I found
http://www.traditionalangler.com/Wire_andweight.asp

They got your lead wires from .010" on up then they even have super thin colored copper wire from .006", I'm not all sure on their sizes, but they had a bunch of them for sale also.

The spools sell for under 3 dollars a piece, and they seemed to have quite a bit of wire on the spool, but I'm not positive, just looking at the pictures.

I am sure glad you reminded me about the lead wire, cause I had forgotten all about it, and this is going to be a tremendous savings. I'll get every size for what I could of only gotten one size of the solder with. Many thanks again.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP