TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The movie " The Downfall"
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
Has anyone seen this movie yet? Does anyone know if it is out in the movie theaters here in the usa? Is it out on DVD? I saw a small clip of it while watching the oscars.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC
Jody, you're more likely to see it in the 'Art-House' movie theaters than anywhere else - I doubt if a major distributor has taken it on.

It's also an incredibly controversial film, taking as it does, the premise that it was Hitler alone who was responsible or the atrocities which were committed...Jim
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:08 PM UTC
I saw it back at the end of February in the city (NYC)
movie theater was packed and it was the 1pm showing.
Great movie - Told from the perspective of Hitler's personal secretary. First 5 minutes are 1943 when Hitler hires her, then jumps to April 1945.
Showed Hitler in many different lights - being kind and fatherly to his secretary (no sexual overtones), playing with his dog, screaming about the perceived conspiracies against him, demanding non existent army groups engage in attacks that will save the Reich, An amazing multi-dimensional character study.
My own personal opinion is that if he is demonized and turned into a one dimensional monster, and if he is not shown as a multi-dimensional human being, society will never understand how so many millions of people blindly followed him and committed all those acts for the 'glory' of Germany.

The most shocking scene was the Goebbels children.

See it when it comes out on DVD.