History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Division marking Identification needed
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Ola Guys

I have a question....
Does anybody know what the Division marking on the turret is about? I did some CSI Miami tricks on it To lift the shape from the background. Officially as you can see the Division marking is probably colored in the original pic. I only wanted the shape. The turned up "Y"symbol probably with a couple of dots next to it will set the tank somewhere in the France campaign. Anybody know which divisions were there in 1940?

It looks like some sort of animal. Does somebody know what the sybol is and to which division it did belong. I would like to know this so I can add it to my Ladungsleger 1

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

I can't really tell from this picture, but is the balkenkreuz white only or is it black inside? It looks white only, which dates the vehicle between 1940 and 1942. As it is a Pzr I this would place it likely in Western Europe, as in the Polish campaign the solid white crosses where used.
As for the up-turned Y insignia, it really depends on the dots,circels or stripes next to it, as the up-turned Y was used by the 1st, right through to the 7th Panzer Divisions. However only the 5th, 6th and 7th Division used the up-turned Y, with 1, 2 or 3 small white circels to the right, in 1940, the others not adapting it untill 1941. I wouldn't like to call on this photo for the markings next to the Y, but it looks like none at all. That would make it 1st Panzer Division, but 1941 - 1945....Don't know about their deployment, but then a Pzr I would have been relegated to rear duties by then anyway.
I have no idea what the marking on the turret depicts.

So in short if there are no marks next to the Y it's a vehicle from the 1st Pzr Div, but from 1941 onwards, so not in France 1940. To be in France in 1940 there will have to be some circular marking(s) next to it.

Hope this helps

Groeten
Henk
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 7,600 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 08:37 PM UTC
It looks to me like there is a single rectangular 'dot' next to the upside down 'Y' making it the 5th Pz . The white blob on the turret is a caricature head smoking a pipe. It is wearing a kepi style hat, colored red, I think. I don't know it's significance.
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

could be 6th or 7th panzer, depending on the dots.

For more info:

6 panzer

7 panzer

Or even 5th panzer:

5 panzer

Kris
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
If Al''s observation is right, and there does seem to be smething next to the Y, and there is a single 'rectangular dot' to the right of the Y, this would make it a vehicle of the 2nd Pzr Division, but according to my reference this was used 1941-1943.

Oh and by the way, in my post above, for circels please read dots, my confusion..

Cheers
Henk