_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best manufactuers and Online stores???
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 09:04 AM UTC
I just got back into modeling after quite a few years off.
What would you list as the top 3-4 plastic model maufactures and what are the top few best internet sites to buy models and supplies.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

:-)
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
My choices would Tamiya, Italeri and Dragon for manufactures. Online hobby shops, the ones I use the most are Squadron, Great Models and Internet Hobbies. I am sure the other gents will have ideas too.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
Best model maker depends on what genre you are interested in (1/72 aircraft, 1/35 armor {US/USSR/WW2/etc.}, 1/24 auto, etc.). Since this is mainly an armor site, I will add to Ron's list AFV, Academy (ask which ones before hand, early kits were Tamiya copies) and Skybow.

There are good eastern European companies if you like Warsaw Pact vehicles, but they are not up to the same standards as modern oriental and western companies. Sometimes the same company that produces bad kits has a gem among them. Some of them are the Esci M-60A1/3 (any, they are all the same kit) kit also boxed by AMT/Ertl and lately Italeri; Trumpeter M1A1/M1A2 tanks; and Airfix's M3 Grant/Lee (1/32 scale).

My favorite online retailers are Squadron, Model Expo and Military Hobbies. I have used Great Models, Tower Hobbies and Phoenix Models without incidence.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
Pretty much Rufus said it all.

Skybow is up and coming and AFV is really good. It just depends on what era you want to model.

Let me guess, "The Game," a WWF fan. "CAN YOU SMELL WHAT EPI IS COOKING!!!!" or "ARMORAMA 3:16, CAN I GET A HEL YEA!!!!!!!"
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
Well, from what I know, three of the best model manufacturers are; TAMIYA, ACADEMY, and ITALERI. I have (so far) bought models from only TAMIYA and have not been dissapointed at all. Their kits have a good level of detail and there's not much clean up work to do on the kit's that I've bought.
As for web retailers, I haven't really ordered much on-line so I can't help you there. You're sure to hear more from other, more knowledgeable, members on the site, so you can expect much more info in a short time.
Welcome to the site, and I hope you enjoy Armorama.com as much as I do.

YodaMan
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:30 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
First, a warm welcome to the best armour site on the web. You'll find a great bunch of guys here.
Second, regarding kit manufacturers, Tamiya is a safe choice, though generally expensive. AFV is another excellent choice, again, expensive. Sometimes very. Academy used to be a 'mixed' bag, but lately their stuff is excellent. Well priced too. Even though they have obviously upgraded their tooling, their prices are remaining stable. Italeri is another good company (and hopefully Sabot will chime in here), but I believe they make a practice of absorbing other companies moulds. So the quality is kit specific. (right/wrong Rob?)
DML/Dragon kits are somewhere between Tamiya & Italeri as far as quality of tooling. Good prices too (love the pictures of completed models on the sides of the box :-) ).
Those are the top producers out there. Trumpeter is starting to have some good stuff also I'm told (never bought one).
As for on-line fare, I haven't a clue. The most exotic stuff I've purchased was from Verlinden, and that was ordered through my local hobby store (I believe in supporting my local hobby shop as often as I can, since being from the 'old school' I like personal input and service).

Regarding the eastern European manufacturers that are starting to make a bigger presence on the shelfs, I'd love to hear from the members regarding that! I've seen some really tempting pieces I'd like to pick up, but afraid of getting home to a 'nightmare' of styrene!
Anyone?

Tread.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri is another good company (and hopefully Sabot will chime in here), but I believe they make a practice of absorbing other companies moulds. So the quality is kit specific. (right/wrong Rob?)

Right, recently they are packaging Esci M60s as the M60 Blazer, their WW2 soft skins are the old Max/Peerless kits (M3 White Scout Car, Dodge Weapons Carrier, Ambulance, 6X6, etc). Some of their older stuff is outstanding (Leopard 1A4, M-47 Patton, M-24 Chaffee), some newer stuff is not so great (Leopard II, 2A5). Overall OK though.
 _GOTOTOP