_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo's are to large
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi guys I got a Kodak cx7430 for christmas I took some shots the other day and tried to upload them to my gallery on this site, the first shot uploaded ok but the other two wouldnt the site said they were to large ?. ok i went to properties and adjusted the size of the shots waydown tried again same reply I tried a couple of more shots with the setting waydown and the same thing happened. can anyone advise me on this
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
The file size is what it is talking about. Armorama only takes photos under 600 kilobytes. Try using compression to draw down the file size.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 06:05 AM UTC
Can you give us a clue about Compression Rob this is not a strong point of mine.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
Okay the information in the file is saved in a raw data format (please don't confuse this with .RAW data format). When your computer opens the file it interprets the info into an image. We all know this. Compression is basically a tool used to make the file smaller. When it does this it edits that information essentially removing every third or fourth bit of information or whatever to remove some of the file. When it does this the image file starts to get a little blurry. The more compression you use the blurrier the image.

Most photo editors have a compression tool in them. It might be under the save as function or it might be a stand alone function. You will have to use the help section of your particular photo editor to find out, but most of the time you can just "Save As" and give it a different name, then it will ask about how much you want to compress it. You can generally go to about 60% without sacrificing image quality.

Someone wrote an article on digital photo compression on the sitte here a while back, it was a really helpful one. I will try and find a link to it if I can remember who wrote it.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thanks for that Rob I think i have foung what you were explaining.This camera has a function with for settings they are BEST for printing
BEST(3.2) prints without cropping
BETTER for printing 8x10
GOOD for e.mailing, Internet, screendisplay and saving space
I guess this last setting would be the one for me it cuts the pixels down from 4meg to 1.1 meg.
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 426 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

GOOD for e.mailing, Internet, screendisplay and saving space
I guess this last setting would be the one for me it cuts the pixels down from 4meg to 1.1 meg.

Exactly - that should do it
 _GOTOTOP