_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
resin model
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 03:09 PM UTC
having never worked with resin before, and i am about to FINALLY get the m578 conversion[ it came back out ]i will need some advice and possibly leads to where in armorama there are threads about that kind of modeling.

any and all tips, advice, training appreciatred...

reb
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 05:41 PM UTC
Resin is similar to plastic to work with. The main difference is you have to use either CA (superglue) or a two part apoxy glue to fix it similar to glueing brass or other metals togeather.

The main difference is that the dust if inhaled is dangerous to your heath and either a mask or something similar is recommended when sanding. Or wet sand it to keep the dust down. I always wash my hands after working with resin as well.

Before painting wash the parts as they often have mold release agents on them and this stops the paint from sticking. I also prefer to prime or paint the model one color all over before adding my base coats to prevent natural preshading as resin is normally white or cream.

Warped items can be straightened by emersing in hot water straightening and then holding in place and allowing to cool down.

hope this helps
Cliff
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
thanks!!!!!!!!!

will use gloves and a mask when working on resin, great tip

reb
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
Gloves might be more than you need especially if you're using CA.

Another thing about resin is that it's a lot more brittle that regular plastic. Small parts can be easily damaged in removing them from the pour plugs or in handling. The good news is the repair is easy with a dab of CA.

If you have to drill into it, back your bit out regularly. It can get jammed in pretty quickly and you won't be able to get it out. (Does that sound like the voice of experience? Sure does!)

I'm guessing the AEF conversion? They have a well deserved reputation for minimal directions and warped/broken parts. The two I've used (Israeli M151 scout and TOW support vehicles) wound up supplying tires and seats and not much more. The rest was used as guides for scratchbuilding. Good luck with yours.
 _GOTOTOP