_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Pigment Powders
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
I am in the process of finishing a Tamiya M2A2 Bradley and purchased some MIG pigment powder - Iraq Sand.

I tried mixing it with some alcohol/paint wash and applied it to a test vehicle. The color turned almost a rusty-orange and not sand like at all. I was able to brush most of it off, but it left the a rusty tone on the test model.

What I am looking for is to use some of this on the road wheel and lower hull for caked on dirt and a dry brushing overall to show the dusty conditions in Iraq.

Any Suggestions??????

Thanks.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
Frank,

I have been using MMP powders mixed with straight alcohol and the color stays true. Perhaps its something to do with what you are mixing it with.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Frank,
Try taking a small brush, and apply some straight white glue to your area you want the pigment, and flick some of the pigment onto the glue. It may work to give the impression of built up mud, without using a ton of pigment.
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
You can try dusting the pigments without any liquid medium. Just dip the brush in the pigment and whisk away!

Mig himself advises against using varnish but really fine mists of matte varnish have been known to seal the pigment on the model. The more you spray the subtler it gets until it vanishes.

I've used Europe Dust on my vehicles and it generally stays quite well without further sealing. Applying the dust pigment is usually one of the last things I do.
 _GOTOTOP