_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How do you organize your modelling space?
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:06 PM UTC
When I am modelling, I always seem cluttered. On occasion I will lose a piece or two and it is really frustrating. I was wondering how some of you organize your workspaces and how well your methods work.
Thanks,
Andrew
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:10 PM UTC
Well, organized chaos has always worked for me, any loose parts go into the kit's box...
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:15 PM UTC
Personally, I like a big work table. My work bench is almost wall to wall. Small pieces go either in the box or plactic baggies. I also use and age old technique of using a strip of double sided tape on the tabletop. It keeps small pieces secure and prevents them from falling to the floor.

my 2 cents....and it only costed me a buck

Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:41 PM UTC
If you take a look at my picture in the photo album, You will see the size of my table. and the work area. I keep that area as uncluttered as possible. Like most of us here, I keep the smaller parts either in the box or one of the yogurt cups that sits on my desk. Set aside just for that purpose. I find that it works best if I can find what I am looking for. And know where things are at when I need them. HOWEVER. Parts still fall off the table. BUT I always manage to find them again, since my area is also pretty well consolidated..

DAGGER-1 PEACE thru Superior Firepower.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:04 PM UTC
I have a 15ft x 10ft room that I have built in the garage. I had built it for the reason of just a model[hobby] room. Basically I have built an addition to the house with everything you need like electricity, built in lighting, wall to wall carpet and insulation. I also have some pricey WWII framed prints on the wall solid oak bookcases and lawyers desk [3ft. x 5ft.] as a work table and I, as of last September I purchased an antique showcase 8ft. long x 3ft wide x 6ft. high as a awesome place for my models. So when it comes to organisation I have plenty of space to lay out all my parts. So hopefully I will be having pictures of my room on this site to show all of you.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:22 PM UTC
My work space /office is 14'x 7' with the comp down one end and the rest dedicated to actual modelling. Along one waal is the desk and worktable, on the other a rolling unit which houses paints,toolsplastic rod and stripas well as a sanding machine and grinder. in the far right corner is an outside sink for the full bath room behind my chair. My family refuses to use so it is truly my throne room.I try to keep it clean but just one good sanding of a resinpart makes it look like winter arrived. Small parts go into one of those plastic divider boxes. sub assemblies are glued to backer rods for painting and stuck in styrofoam. I plan on puttin pics up soon.

Josh wWeingarten
aKA shiryon
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
I have a 6'x3' table with lots of storage around it. I use it ALL. I spread out on the table. I tend to have main subject right in the middle of the area, any sub assemblies are just outside of that (close by to test fit etc). The tools I need for the current task are right at quick hands reach. I remove them from thier long term storage and place them on the work surface so I can get them quickly. I leave them there until totally done with them. When I get to painting I leave the current paint at hand reach, the current brush at hands reach. This ensures that I use the same brush and paint jar for the same kit across the board.
At the end of a project I clean the ENTIRE work surface. During the project I do mini clean as necessary. I have little storage contianers for small part nearby too so I dont loose anything.
To someone looking in it's a little crazy but it works for me.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
Space? you guys have space to build in? maannnn I wish I had space..

Living in an apt with a 3yr old, ,I don't have a permenant space to work in, TV tray or kitchen table and pick up when I'm done has really cramped my style and production.

I find that I build a lot of sub assemblies and store them in the kit box, once the model is built up to the point I cannot fit it back in the box, I HAVE to finish it..
The flap-end Italeri 1/72 aircraft boxes do not lend themselves well to this style of building..

we'll have a house soon and I get my lurkum back.. then I spread out all over and have multiple projects going at once..

Mike
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Space? you guys have space to build in? maannnn I wish I had space..

Living in an apt with a 3yr old, ,I don't have a permenant space to work in, TV tray or kitchen table and pick up when I'm done has really cramped my style and production.

I find that I build a lot of sub assemblies and store them in the kit box, once the model is built up to the point I cannot fit it back in the box, I HAVE to finish it..
The flap-end Italeri 1/72 aircraft boxes do not lend themselves well to this style of building..

we'll have a house soon and I get my lurkum back.. then I spread out all over and have multiple projects going at once..

Mike

Same here, I try to build a kit at a time, so I didn´t get lost between a lot of parts...
And I have to administrate my time to TWO little girls (1,5yrs and 5yrs old).
But I´m finishing my models
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
same problem her with space but i keep my peaces away from loosin by having a piece of light carpet under my table.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:31 AM UTC
Zip lock bags are great for temporary storage of smaller bits and pieces so you don't lose them. Then I place all parts back into the kit box. If the assembly gets too big, then I put it in a larger clear storage box. The type you get from Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
I have also built my own room in my basement, exclusively and only
for my scale modeling hobby. I have a very large industrial size desk, with
large draw's for my storage of extra stock of tool's, rag's etc, etc.
But when it comes to my everyday modeling tool's & supplies, they are all at
arm's reach in an old waterbed-headboard that sit's directly on top of my desk.....
.......this allow's me to organiize my tool's in their respective area's, all in site, where
I can grab them when needed. I also use magnetic tool bar's and tools storage bin's from
Micro Mark Tool's
I built a large custom paint rack, that hangs on the wall at the left side my desk, and
also I have hung shelves on the wall to store my miniature draws and small plastic
container's with compartment's that hold all my figure parts, armor stowage & equipment,.
aircraft & armor accessories, dry transfers & decals, and diorama accessories.
When I have a project in the making, I also use small palstic container's w/compartment's ( those that fly fishermen use ), small yogurt cup's and cigar boxes
that I keep my sub-assemblies in, and resin, plastic, figure, and PE parts.

The main thing I focus on in my room is organization ......... everything has it's place and
a place for everything.
Hopefully, I will soon be able to get some pic's of my room up on the forum.

- ralph
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
It's the kitchen table for me as well, working out of tackle boxes for my tools and paints. Hopefully, my model(hobby) room in the basement will come to completion soon. In the meantime, I use clear plastic boxes for spares and extras. Ziplock baggies work for holding subassemblies while working, with everything going back in the box when it's time to pick up. I keep the larger model boxes (like the 88 Tamiya kit or the large 1/48 ProModel kits PBY, He-111, etc) to keep current projects in until completed. Like a true modeler - I never throw anything out that may be useful.

Mike

dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 06:24 AM UTC
I have my work area that I keep everything that I need there. One thing that I'm working on right now is a 6 figure set, and luckily for me I found an old muffin pan with 6 spots. I keep all the parts for each of the figures in their respective spot. That pretty much keeps all the pieces organized. They are either in there, or still on the sprue. Everything else is organized in little tool boxes (very similar to a tackle box). I'm a stickler for being organized, and if you look at the picture http://www.members.shaw.ca/narius/pics/000333.JPG you'll see that I keep everything clean. That's a good thing usually, but I get bugged a lot about it.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you'll see that I keep everything clean. That's a good thing usually, but I get bugged a lot about it.

Well "D" it looks good, my wife was impressed she asked if you did any modelling there

I am in the process of organizing my computer/hobby room. I need a couple of tables that will fit and give me storage space, I have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 choices but I haven't given up on the idea of making the tables myself...sigh just some other thing to take time away from modelling

MSW
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC
I have one of those 2' X 3' "student desks.It has a flat top,and 2 shelf like areas to the right,under the top.My tools are in one of those carrosel type spinable holders.
I have an Exacto cutting mat as the actual "work"surface,right in the middle of the desk.On the mat is the hull of the tank,or fuselage of whatever I am working on.Farther away is the kit box,with the sprues inside.Also,if I have photoetch,or an aftermarket gun barrel,that is in the box,too.
The only tools out of the holder are what I am using at that moment.The glues are near the back edge of the cutting mat,to avoid bumping and spilling.
On the shelves to the right and below on the desk,are fishing tackle boxes,fromwalMart,for storing paint bottles.Also,flat stock (Plastruct is here,it is seldom used at the same time as construction,so out of sight is helpful.
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

you'll see that I keep everything clean. That's a good thing usually, but I get bugged a lot about it.

Well "D" it looks good, my wife was impressed she asked if you did any modelling there

Yep! But everything is cleaned up after I'm done for the day... :-)
tank34boss
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
i say that dman has some "neatness" issues. my area consists of an old
desk-hutch thingy and a 3x4 table. the hutch i paint in because it has good light
pics to follow.
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 03:01 AM UTC
My work space is constantly in a mess and i love it!!! without the mess it wouldnt feel like i m creating something..........
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 05:14 PM UTC
I like matchboxes.

I got a whole load glued together and labelleb on the front. I also use a couple in the kit box when little bits fall off the sprues.

the way ahead..................matchboxes for eveyone :-)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 05:23 PM UTC
My modelling table is my dining table is my footstool is a glass-topped coffee table. I place all my paints upside-down in a big round cookie can. I place all other tools in a pint-sized icecream can. Unused spare parts go to a transparent Ferrero Rocher box. Boxes and cans are piled on a side table. Kit boxes are piled beside a vase on the same side table. Finished and partly finished kits reside on top of the TV. I brought two planes to the office just to make room for more. The girlfriend frowns at chaos so we compromised at slightly chaotic.
sfilak
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Somtehing that has long been overlooked in terms of organizing parts is the plastic box that baby wipes are packaged in. These things are great for storing tools, paint jars, spare parts, etc. Best of all, if you have a baby, you've already paid for the box. I have loads of these things in my workshop, and whenever I have a stalled project, all of the detail parts go in one of these boxes. You can also use them as a temporary toolbox for those times when you can't do extended periods in the workshop, and wind up doing construction on the kitchen table (as I am often forced to do).Best of all, the kind that I have is the stackable type, being shaped like a large Lego block, so you can get a large number of these on one of your shelves.

Also handy in the baby department are the short jars of baby food. In addition to using them for decanting thinner, I also use them to keep my Tenax glue from spilling all over the bench. Just drop your bottle of Tenax into one of the short jars (I think it's the 2 ounce jar), and you'll never spill another one!

HTH-
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Organized? Only in between projects... :-)

I've got my own room, actually two rooms.

Down cellar is where I do all my building, the finished off attic is where I have all my built (and unbuilt) kits.

Bunker-1

Bunker-2

Bunker-3

Attic

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
 _GOTOTOP