TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Galactica - Where's the Beef?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
Been watching the new Battlestar Galactica series and think it looks great, great mood, etc. But I am about to stop watching this show as it is getting horribly BORING.

Is it me, or has this turned into a soap opera where nothing really happens from episode to episode?

Yes, I want to see a few space battles. I want to see them land on other planets. I want them to meet aliens or other humans. I want a little action. Is that so wrong?

This stared off as a great series with the prisoner revolt, the Cylons chasing the fleet, etc. But the show seems to have lost it's direction. Who cares if Adama is a Cylon? I've seen this before, it's called John Carpenter's The Thing.

I hate the Cylons. (But the chicks sure are hot.) How boring they are. Lets see a base ship and some red glowing eyes. Let's see Baltar on a base star. THey need a bad guy.

Just give me one stinking laser gun...

Steve
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
We have seen this in the U.K and is does tail off a bit, but stick with it as it does get better.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
The reason that the original BSG was killed off was the enormous production costs of the special effects. It's hard to recoup the cost of the effects because the commericial rates are relatively fixed, unlike movies where you can sell more tickets if the movie is good and you can estend the time in the theaters. In order not to fall into the trap of the first BSG (and ST:TNG, DS9 and VOY) and have your F/X costs just kill the budget, I'm sure they are trying to pace themselves with limited F/X until such time that a single episode requires a lot. There are limits to how much they can spend on a TV series
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Budgets or no, they need to keep it fresh. You can stay on the ship and still have some good action.

It's the endless soap opera feel that I am starting to get tired of. You can't have a constant cliff hanger without it becoming a let-down.

I was really impressd when they had the water problem but what about food shortages, riots on other ships, people freaking out because everyone they knew is dead?

I think there's a lot more drama they could show without needing to get into expensive space shots.

By the way, isn't in cheaper now to do the fx because of computers?

Steve
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
Steve i'm with you on this.I've been watching it as well and for me it started off with great promise but now it is just getting BORING!It makes me long for the days of great sci-fi shows like DS-9 too bad Rick Berman killed off the Star Trek franchise.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
I'd given up watching the show a couple weeks ago. Simply put-- Too much fiction, not enough science.

This'll be dead before two seasons are done. Too bad, I had such high hopes.

Dave S.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
I'm a big fan of "make you think" sci-fi like the ultimate series BABYLON 5, but hey they had a lot of action mixed in ....I mean a lot of action. Now the few first series Battlestar Galactica episodes I have seen were what I would call "kiddie shows". I too have to agree with Sniper Steve (now that is a rarity in itself) This show has become very boring...nothing seems to happen. There is virtually no storyline going and nothing to excite me. Hey that Stargate Atlantis is turning out much better. If something doesn't happen REAL soon, they'll probably lose me.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I too have to agree with Sniper Steve (now that is a rarity in itself)

Whatever dude...
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 07:51 PM UTC
It's on here also.
We get 1 episode a week (every wednesday)
This week it was the one where they lose the water, because that asian girl blew a hole in the storage with G4... :-) G4.
But its bloody confusing! Which "version" of the asian girl, umm, Sharon was it? which version is the Cylon, the one back on the Galactica, or the one stranded on that forest planet.
Anyway so far i cant say its been boring, just a lil confusing at times, but im gonna stick with it, if it really does get to the point where i hate it as much as Steve im just gonna stop watching :-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC
I am afraid I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more. Action? There has been a ton of action. Sure there is not a space battle every episode (or even every 4 episodes) but I think you and others are re-writing the history of other shows here. There was not a "space battle" in every original BG episode. There were perhaps 5-7 of the full first season. Neither does Enterprise, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, or any show in my memory. With perhaps the sole exclusion being "Andromeda" which is about a campy a sci-fi show as you can get.

What *I* have seen since January (when it started in the US) is a brilliantly written show that is really going places the first BG never even dreamt of. There is more character development in the first 15 minutes of "33" (the first episode) than in the entire first season of the original series.

Sure it's a bit of a "thinking man's" BG so I guess that is why I like it so much more than most of what is on TV these days. That and Lost and Alias. And yes I still watch the "Stargates", but the production quality of the new BG is so far above them it's not funny.

And I am also a big fan of B5 and am watching the 2nd season on DVD right now. While that show had a lot of action at the peaks of the story arc, it was also as dull as sin in certain periods. So again...unfair.

Cheers,
Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
I think their is great potential with the story line of Cylon Boomer and Helo still stuck on Occupied Caprica. They can run into other survivors, Helo can discover other Boomers, maybe begin a resistance/sabotage campaign.

Also those new Cylon fighters that appear to be organic.... what's up with that? I want to know how they "grow" Cylon fighters.

I will admit that I'm getting tired of Baltar and daydream Six. I really wish they didn't reveal the physical Six as a Cylon so soon. I think there could have been a longer story with Baltar dreaming about his Six and the conflict of having a physical Six in the fleet.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
As I mentioned, I thought the show started out great with the first few episodes and has turned dull.

I'd really like to see some characters other than the president and the military people. I'd like to see another ship in the fleet have a flat tire that needs fixed. I'd like to see real human reaction - like someone suddenly freaking out because everyone they knew has been killed and they are now floating in space about to be killed themselves.

Yes, I want to be entertained when I watch a show. I turn to TV to see monkeys dressed like robotic dogs.

10 pm, Friday night. Rough time slot. If they continue with the "who's the Cylon" cliffhanger week-after-week they won't be getting to Earth...

Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Ohh Jim you are only into the second season of Babylon 5...season three will blow you away and season 4 in my mind is one of the greatest things ever to be put on TV . As to the current Battlestar Galactica, They need to add something to the plot besides who's a Cylon, We the audience have been pretty well clued in, they need to vary the shows plots up. You'll discover while watching B-5 they didn't just keep hammering on Earth vs the colonies or the shadows vs the Vorlons or the Centari vs the Narn see there is three subplots that roll into one hell of a storyline and there are a few others in there as well. Look at LOST, there are a bunch of storylines there and lots of mystery. Thinking man's Sci fi should leave you at the end of the show saying Holy Crap what is going to happen next. I don't get that right now, its like "is something ever goig to happen?"