_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Breaking Modeler's Block?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC
I made the mistake of only bring a few kits with me. All of them armor kits with plenty of aftermarket accessories: Tamiya Stalin JS3 with Aber PE and CMK barrel; RPM T-60 with a PE set; and the Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog with a laundry list of aftermarket parts.

Now the problem, I'd just like to slap a kit together straight OOB. What kits do you guys use for modeler's block? I think I'll head to the PX and get a simple plane or car that has a fairly simple paint scheme.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
If you want a simple car, Michael's has AMT/Ertl cars on clearance for $7.
HTH
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC
I don't know kits that well so I don't know what to tell you there. If I where in your spot I would probably think of something I have thought of doing in the past but never did. Either that or just go to the old hobby shop and see what calls out your name, something that looks fun. Maybe something you can send home to the kids as a treat while your away.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC
I've found that either the Fine Molds TIE Fighter or X-Wing Fighter a great cure for Modeler's Block. Do you have any of them handy? The TIE Fighter can be a nice weekend project...

Gunnie
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:02 AM UTC
Might I suggest the R/C 1/16 Tiger I by Tamiya.......... I think they're on special at Military Hobbies; only $900 CDN :-)

Nic
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
One of those killer Tamiya cars you know the racing ones and get all the goodies for it. (:-)
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
How about a nice and easy old revell/monagram WW2 fighter. Maybe 40 or 50 pieces, very simple decals, a quick little single color P-40, or a natural finish P-51?? No fuss no muss, it will remind u of when u used to build the kits in about an hour after you got home from the store when u were a kid.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
I stick to AFVs try a Jeep or skybow beep.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
Duh, while digging through my hotel room closet I found the Japanese Anime kit I brought to build. I picked up some French blue for the color. It'll be a fun build.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Duh, while digging through my hotel room closet I found the Japanese Anime kit I brought to build. I picked up some French blue for the color. It'll be a fun build.

See - when it doubt - go the Sci-Fi route...

Gunnie
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I made the mistake of only bring a few kits with me. All of them armor kits with plenty of aftermarket accessories: Tamiya Stalin JS3 with Aber PE and CMK barrel; RPM T-60 with a PE set; and the Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog with a laundry list of aftermarket parts.

Now the problem, I'd just like to slap a kit together straight OOB. What kits do you guys use for modeler's block? I think I'll head to the PX and get a simple plane or car that has a fairly simple paint scheme.

When I have builders block, I just leave it alone knowing that if I continue to build I will most likely will in the end screw it up. So I step back for awhile and do some research on the computer about the kit I am building. After 2-3 days then I go back to the model at hand and continue where I left off.
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC
Modelers Block??? ....hmmmmm... let's see.

I recently suffered from this disorder....what did I do. I picked up a 1/32 Corsair from Revell. Big-clunky-bad fit-crappy decals.....lots of putty and sanding out the wazooo....

......AHHHHHHHHHH....the good 'ole days.
 _GOTOTOP