_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cheap kits for kitbashing
Thiazi
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:13 PM UTC
I thought this might go in Buy, Sell & Trade but it seems off topic there....

Anyways, I sometimes like to dig through by bag of spare parts leftover from old projects and make "hybrid" vehicles, you know, variety is the spice of life and all that. So after a couple of hybrid projects (none of which I dare show here for fear of embarrassment) I thought about maybe finding a bunch of cheap kits and using them instead of just throwing together leftovers. This way I can actually plan ahead as I will know what parts I will need and have.

However, this hobby as we all know isn't a cheap one and here is my problem. I'm looking for an online store, mail order company or manufacturer who makes dirt cheap kits. Now I'm not looking for quality, I'm just looking for cheap kits.

I'd greatly appreciate if you could point me in the direction (or tell me they don't exist) and save me a ton of wasted cash.

Regards
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC
try some of the hobbycraft kits........ and Ebay..... Built-ups and spare parts lot's ore on there all the time......
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
try some of the old tamiya kits

Frank
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hey Thiazi, welcome to Armorama. As to your question, you can also find some cheap models at club and model contests. You'll find plenty of vendors with cheap kit sales and some even carry built-ups and part bags full of goodies. Model shows are where the bargains are, you'll find most of your needs there. Again welcome
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
The old AMT BMP comes to mind. As does the Lindberg T-80 (I shivver just thinking about the latter)
:-) As already mentioned, the older Tamiya kits are pretty good from kit bashing. "Q"
Bk27
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:02 PM UTC
I only remember Ebay.
Bk27
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:04 PM UTC
I only remember Ebay.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 11:37 PM UTC
Firstly welcome Thiazi!

Ebay as most people have said is a good place to look, for kitbashing. Look for part started models and such. For ‘test-runs’ (as I call them), I test my ideas on for example an Academy Panzer IV, which is cheap and then go on to Tamiya or Dragon’s Panzer IV, the same with Italeri’s M113, Hummer, Jeep, kubelwagen Swimwagen etc… ESCI kits are also quite cheap for kitbashing.

Look on Ebay for items sold offshore with more or less the same postage as you would pay in Canada, there are plenty in Malaysia.

Hope this helps!
 _GOTOTOP