_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
who can help me out !!!!
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hello guys and gals ,

Now it is my turn to ask a question.

Today i bought a nice interesting modell by Revell.
I concerns Jeanne D'arc.
It is a figure in a 1:12 scale.
The building proces is no problem but...
She wears a Knights armour

Now here the question.
Who can give me some usefull information on how to create that metal look.
On the box she wears a black blueish kina armour.
How can i create this with paint ?
Of course there is aluminum and silver and so on.
But in some magazines i bought over the last year i see knights with armour wich looks like it is real metal !!
This is the result i want for this figure also.
Just plain aluminum or silver is not what i look for.
so help me out !!!!!!!!
If you can make scans of articles with the right paint procedure and use of colors don't hesitate to send them to me.
you can send it to : [email protected]
Also usefull internet links are welcome.

Thanks

Eric

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
Eric,

I think Craig Whitaker's article can help you out here :

I think you need this article ?!
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:22 AM UTC
Eric,
Have you ever heard of printers ink. It is a very fine powder that comes in a film cannister.
You mix it with oil paint and a drying agent. I use the silver mixed with black or dark blue for painting chainmail, armor plate or gunmetal. Here is a site that sells it:
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/supplies_folder/supplies.html#
Hope this is helpful.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
Two words: Buffing metalizer. I just did several Pegaso gladiators in 54mm scale. Most have some form of armor. IMHO, metalizer is the best and easiest way to replicate metal without using foil. For a figure that size, you'll absolutely need to airbrush it or use a can. You might want to get a couple different colors, Gunmetal is the darkest and works great as a base for chain mail, Burnt Metal has a nice dark feel to it like a suit that has been out in the elements a while and stainless steel has a nice bright, polished finish. Aluminum is a tad bright for armor except for the brightest of highlights.
When you've painted the armor, use a soft cloth, like an old tee shirt, and buff to the sheen you like. Using this method, you should be able to buff your highlights, rather than painting and blending them.
A wash of Payne's Gray makes nice shadows along the edges.
Some hints:
1. Metalizer will show off the tiniest of flaws so make sure the kit is very well polished before painting.
2. Minimize handling once painted as metalizer will buff out onto your fingers and you will leave finger prints even on fully dried surfaces.
I've also seen beautiful metal finishes with the Alclad system and automotive laquers, but this is a tad easier and the paints should be more accessible.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:26 AM UTC
Eric...a short time ago,i painted a Knight in full armour and follwed this formula which seemed to work...i used a metallic siver spray,the kind you use to touch up a car,wait untill
it is completely cured,then i used Windsor and Newton blue black and worked it very sparingly under the arms,between the legs and any other hard to get bits,i then used a stippling brush and worked paint from these areas out into the centre of the figure making sure it was still darker where i started and lighter where i finished,let the fig completely dry at this stage.When dry i went over the whole figure again using the same method i used with the blue black,but even more sparingly,while the paint was still wet i used a soft lint free cloth to wipe over the whole figure this will give you the blue black highlights,and you can take it as far as you want to go.At this stage i let the figure dry,and fine lined it,finally i polished it very lightly and added detail such as belts face etc.Hope this has helped.
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC
Thanks Eagle.
But it is not exactly what i'm looking for...
The iron he describes is to "matt "

That kinda iron i can create also, No it has to more shiny .

But i will stay tuned.

Thanks any how

Eric
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
Eric,

sorry the article couldn't help you out. Maybe you an PM Craig (Mongo_mel)... Maybe he has some more tricks up his (wide) sleeve....

Hope the other tips can help you out. Good Luck on the model and I love to see the pics !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
Oops... I only read your last post (just before my reply).... i overlooked the others replying.....

Sorry guys, I shuld have been more alert

Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Dont know if this is what youre looking for, but when im painting the armor of a knight i use Humbrol Metal Coat number 8188: Polished Steel.
When youve painted it on your model, you can polish it till you have a metal glance, just like the real thing.
"The Metal Coat" paints might have just the color you need (if these paints still exist = dont know that for sure, cause i bought my paint some years ago), or maybe you can combine it with a blueish color.

Dolf
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
Have you ever heard of printers ink. It is a very fine powder that comes in a film cannister.
You mix it with oil paint and a drying agent. I use the silver mixed with black or dark blue for painting chainmail, armor plate or gunmetal. Here is a site that sells it:
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/supplies_folder/supplies.html#
Hope this is helpful.

Craig
Mongo_mel
"Mongo only pawn .. in game of life"

Craig,

I've read about it but i don't think i can get my hands on that stuff here in the Netherlands...
Or there might be Dutchies here they can provide it for me..

thanks for your reply Craig..

Eric
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dont know if this is what youre looking for, but when im painting the armor of a knight i use Humbrol Metal Coat number 8188: Polished Steel.
When youve painted it on your model, you can polish it till you have a metal glance, just like the real thing.
"The Metal Coat" paints might have just the color you need (if these paints still exist = dont know that for sure, cause i bought my paint some years ago), or maybe you can combine it with a blueish color.

Dolf

Of course, there are no photographs of Jeanne. I doubt there were any contemporary paintings of her either, so all we have are artist's renditions of what her armor would have looked like. Eric could feel safe in any metal color as an artist himself. I recently visited the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester MA and their armor was just about all a polished but dark, steel color.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 03:34 AM UTC
A member of my IPMS club brought in an airplane propeller that he had spray painted using Krylon brand chrome silver paint. It looked like it had been chrome plated. Extremely bright silver. I'd suggest checking out the hardware and auto parts stores in your area to see what they have.
Sorry the printers ink isn't going to work out for you. I hoped that the supplier I linked you to would ship overseas. Any chance you could find a local printer that could sell you some? If so, I could post better directions for using it. I know the armor plate on the figure in my article is too dark for you. But that's only because of the Paynes Gray glaze I put on it. Without that, it can be a very bright silver.
Best of luck with it,
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:05 PM UTC
their was an article in Military modler about painting armor looked good to me want me to scan and send you. (:-)
Pm if so or email me
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two words: Buffing metalizer.

I used to have excellent metal paints, I think it was a special series of Humbrol. At least it was oil paint in those small metal jars like Humbrol uses. You could polish them to an incredible sheen. Really nice stuff, specially the gun metal, flat steel, flat aluminium, etc.
I'd be surprised if they no longer were available in the market : it was really good stuff.
Jan
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:27 AM UTC
well here are the results of the Dutch Jury : #:-)

I started to paint the model with the Humbroll Metalizer paint. ( Metal Cote )

First i sprayed the model black , as i do all my models , then i applied the Metal cote " polished steel " .
That was the easy part.....
The came the polish job..........

This is the first and last time i ever do that .
What a (&%^)*^_(*&)+_(*+)*+ job.
The model is now polished and it look like a mirror at this time...

Painted the face
 _GOTOTOP