History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Plan Z
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
I read from some book years ago that the original war plan (Naval) for the Kreigsmarine was that they would build up the Navy till 44 with a so called 'Plan Z" then started the war. The Plan Z Navy would consist Zepplin Carriers, a bunch of new Battleship, some newer even than the Bismark, a number of heavy Cruisers/Destoryers, and hundreds of U Boats. Say if the German did stick to that plan, would the Plan Z Kreigsmarine set sail to the North Atlantic unchallenged? Or would Allies really tolerate such a Naval build up even though presumingly that German would not open War with the Allies?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I read from some book years ago that the original war plan (Naval) for the Kreigsmarine was that they would build up the Navy till 44 with a so called 'Plan Z" then started the war. The Plan Z Navy would consist Zepplin Carriers, a bunch of new Battleship, some newer even than the Bismark, a number of heavy Cruisers/Destoryers, and hundreds of U Boats. Say if the German did stick to that plan, would the Plan Z Kreigsmarine set sail to the North Atlantic unchallenged? Or would Allies really tolerate such a Naval build up even though presumingly that German would not open War with the Allies?

I think your question is predicated on a hosts of assumptions. The first and foremost would be that Germany had the financial wherewithall to build such a fleet. The second is that Western Europe, the Soviet Union, and the US would continue the appeasement policies of the late thirties. And, lastly, that all the other world powers would not build equally effective fleets to counter the German build-up. As it was, the German Navy gets the crap kicked out of them during the invasion of Norway. Following that fiasco, they lose the Bismarck, the Graf Spee, and the Tirpitz is pretty well done for the war. A land power like Germany with crazy Adolph at the helm, did not believe the investment in surface vessels was worth the effort. The German Navy may well have had Plan Z, but their government did not support the building of a surface fleet.
DJ
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hard to imagine that Great Britian would have allowed Germany to achieve anything even close to parity in naval forces. The Z ("Zeil" or 'target') plan was to be completed by 1948. It envisioned a Kreigsmarine of 17 capital ships; 6 super battleships (72k tons each), 4 large BB's, 4 aircraft carriers, and 3 battle-cruisers. Along with the capital ships it planned for 3 pocket bttleships, 53 cruisers of various size, 68 destroyers, a numerous other surface ships, over one million tons in all. It also planned for 249 U-boats, most however were to be of the mine-laying or coastal patrol variety, not the ocean going menace we actually saw.

I don't have numbers for Great Britian at my fingertips, however, it is wise to remember that the RN fielded 21 battleships alone during the period in question, and could undoubtably have launched more if needed, and this doesn't include aircraft carriers, battle-cruisers, etc. So even in their wildest dreams (and these were wild ones) the Germans would not have achieved superiority.

Having said all that it is interesting to note the shift in air power between the West and Germany. When Hitler took power both Great Britian and France had a clear and decisive superiority that they allowed to slip away. They took solace in the fact that they both had superiority, then they took solace in the fact that COMBINED they held the advantage, then they trumpeted the fact that together they were real close to the German numbers, and so on and so on. So who knows, maybe those whose desire for peace (it's to easy to call good men appeasers after the fact, most anyway) clouded their judgement would also have allowed naval superiority to slip away as well.

Rick Cooper
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
Rick,

It's some very insightful analysis there, certainly refreshed my memory a great deal. I believe I also read from somewhere that in regards to the Naval Gunneries, the kreigsmarine was superior to the British and US Navy at the beginning of the war, was it true?

By the way, have you ever played the computer game, "Great naval battle of North Atlantic"? Now it's a good game! :-) I wish they have a copy to sell now....
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hard to imagine that Great Britian would have allowed Germany to achieve anything even close to parity in naval forces. The Z ("Zeil" or 'target') plan was to be completed by 1948. It envisioned a Kreigsmarine of 17 capital ships; 6 super battleships (72k tons each), 4 large BB's, 4 aircraft carriers, and 3 battle-cruisers. Along with the capital ships it planned for 3 pocket bttleships, 53 cruisers of various size, 68 destroyers, a numerous other surface ships, over one million tons in all. It also planned for 249 U-boats, most however were to be of the mine-laying or coastal patrol variety, not the ocean going menace we actually saw.

I don't have numbers for Great Britian at my fingertips, however, it is wise to remember that the RN fielded 21 battleships alone during the period in question, and could undoubtably have launched more if needed, and this doesn't include aircraft carriers, battle-cruisers, etc. So even in their wildest dreams (and these were wild ones) the Germans would not have achieved superiority.

Having said all that it is interesting to note the shift in air power between the West and Germany. When Hitler took power both Great Britian and France had a clear and decisive superiority that they allowed to slip away. They took solace in the fact that they both had superiority, then they took solace in the fact that COMBINED they held the advantage, then they trumpeted the fact that together they were real close to the German numbers, and so on and so on. So who knows, maybe those whose desire for peace (it's to easy to call good men appeasers after the fact, most anyway) clouded their judgement would also have allowed naval superiority to slip away as well.

Rick Cooper

Rick--that is a nice run down and one which I shall quote in the future. John Ellis has several books out that emphasize the German economic base and the impossibility of it to support a surge ship building campaign. The Western European Nations could have forestalled any effort by the Germans to rapidly build up a fleet through the denial of international loans or limiting their access to strategic materiel.
I like your summary.
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC
Very good, gentlemen. I'll add another tidbit or two.

The Kriegsmarine did have superior gunnery optics at the start of the war, jsut as they did at Jutland two decades before. Germans are good with lenses. However....

Their radar was much less reliable and effective, and indeed Bismarck's was knocked offline by her first full boradside and was never repaired during her ill-fated voyage. Flaws like that possibly never appear in peacetime, so a Z-plan fleet would likely been populated with vessels possessing faulty electronics. Likewise German ship design had critical flaws, including a lack of reduncancy in rudder control and very weak stern structures. Look at the wreck of the Bismarck today: The stern broke off when she sank. Could just as easily been blown off by a bomb, torpedo, or shell hit. Other German vessels also exhibited this flaw, so it was a design issue and not workmanship.

Basically, Germany (as alluded to) has never had sufficient naval experience to build a really capable fleet, economics aside. Let's not forget that Bismarck wasn't exactly fighting on even terms on May 24th, 1941: Hood was a WW1 battlecruiser with a severly flawed armor layour, and Prince of Wales really belonged back in the dockyard or safely away on workup. Britain was lucky that both of them weren't sunk. But Bismarck fared far less well against Rodney and King George V, good ships with good crews. Forget Bismarck's inability to maneuver, she also couldn't shoot anymore that morning. I know this will draw fire, but while I appreciate that she was a beautifully menacing ship in appearance she was not a particularly impressive piece of naval architecture. Any of our fast battleships (North Carolinas, South Dakotas) would have beaten her in a stand-up fight and an Iowa would have simply eaten her for lunch.

Greg
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
One of the chief problems that the Kriegsmarine faced was their restricted access to the sea. The Baltic was the German's bathtub, but they had to send their ships through the Kattegat, Skagerakk and or the Kiel Canal to get into position to sortie into the North Atlantic. One way of looking at things would be to place the entire US Navy into Peuget Sound and then have the Soviet Pacific Fleet base of Vladivostok moved to only a few hundred miles off the mouth to the Sound with a swarm of yellow jackets loose in their BVD's!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very good, gentlemen. I'll add another tidbit or two.

The Kriegsmarine did have superior gunnery optics at the start of the war, jsut as they did at Jutland two decades before. Germans are good with lenses. However....

Their radar was much less reliable and effective, and indeed Bismarck's was knocked offline by her first full boradside and was never repaired during her ill-fated voyage. Flaws like that possibly never appear in peacetime, so a Z-plan fleet would likely been populated with vessels possessing faulty electronics. Likewise German ship design had critical flaws, including a lack of reduncancy in rudder control and very weak stern structures. Look at the wreck of the Bismarck today: The stern broke off when she sank. Could just as easily been blown off by a bomb, torpedo, or shell hit. Other German vessels also exhibited this flaw, so it was a design issue and not workmanship.

Basically, Germany (as alluded to) has never had sufficient naval experience to build a really capable fleet, economics aside. Let's not forget that Bismarck wasn't exactly fighting on even terms on May 24th, 1941: Hood was a WW1 battlecruiser with a severly flawed armor layour, and Prince of Wales really belonged back in the dockyard or safely away on workup. Britain was lucky that both of them weren't sunk. But Bismarck fared far less well against Rodney and King George V, good ships with good crews. Forget Bismarck's inability to maneuver, she also couldn't shoot anymore that morning. I know this will draw fire, but while I appreciate that she was a beautifully menacing ship in appearance she was not a particularly impressive piece of naval architecture. Any of our fast battleships (North Carolinas, South Dakotas) would have beaten her in a stand-up fight and an Iowa would have simply eaten her for lunch.

Greg

Greg---well done! Best thing about this forum is listening to folks like you.
thanks again.
DJ
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:40 AM UTC
Great discussion, I wouldn't disagree with a thing that has been said. It is fun to just follow the conversation here.

Much of the experience of the Kreigsmarine in the war I believe would have been repeated with the Soviet navy had open conflict ever broken out. They might have looked frightening on paper, but I think they were closer to a paper tiger than the real thing. The grind of combat would have quickly worn them to dust.

Rick Cooper
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great discussion, I wouldn't disagree with a thing that has been said. It is fun to just follow the conversation here.

Much of the experience of the Kreigsmarine in the war I believe would have been repeated with the Soviet navy had open conflict ever broken out. They might have looked frightening on paper, but I think they were closer to a paper tiger than the real thing. The grind of combat would have quickly worn them to dust.

Rick Cooper

Agree.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
While I'll leave things naval to those with better understanding I will tackle the question of appeasement. If Germany had not attacked poland and waited for this plan z totake effect I think the battle of the atlantic would have been harder and the war last longer. The appeasement would have had no reason to stop. up to and to some degree after Sept 39 people still believed hitlermussolini could be appeased. Europe still hasn't learned the lesson. they would rather renew business dealings with Iraq than stop him. only a chemical or nuclear attack would disuade them. and since they are not likely to face immidiate attack, their line of apppeasement still stands. so yes I think the powers that were would have allowed hitler to comlete his preperations.only the invasion of poland tilted the balance in europea and only japans attack on Pearl moved US opinion to war.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While I'll leave things naval to those with better understanding I will tackle the question of appeasement. If Germany had not attacked poland and waited for this plan z totake effect I think the battle of the atlantic would have been harder and the war last longer. The appeasement would have had no reason to stop. up to and to some degree after Sept 39 people still believed hitlermussolini could be appeased. Europe still hasn't learned the lesson. they would rather renew business dealings with Iraq than stop him. only a chemical or nuclear attack would disuade them. and since they are not likely to face immidiate attack, their line of apppeasement still stands. so yes I think the powers that were would have allowed hitler to comlete his preperations.only the invasion of poland tilted the balance in europea and only japans attack on Pearl moved US opinion to war.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon

Josh--certainly a great deal of food for thought in your statement. As someone so perceptively noted, even IF (big "if") the Germans created the large surface fleet that is no guarentee that they would have employed it to their benefit. I recall they lost numerous surface ship during the invasion of Norway to faulty tactics. By way of comparison, the Italian Navy was a large, well-equipped force, yet the British beat their pants off. The Italian sailor referred to it as the cardboard fleet due to its lack of aircraft carriers and radar, yet it was impressive. How about the Soviet Navy building program. After billions of rubles, they still could not get a fleet aircraft carrier of any merit....
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
Well, to give the Russians their due they did produce a fleet carrier. Oops, finished just as the country implodes! No more money, no more mission....

Hard to say what kind of ship she would really have been; there wasn't enough time at sea to make any solid opinions. I have to give them kudos for trying. Nobody else since the end of WW2 has tried to build a fleet carrier that hadn't built them before the war. That is, nobody without a history of naval aviation other than the Russians has attempted to build a fleet carrier. Sure, lots of countries have bought elderly ships from Britain or built small VSTOL ships but that isn't the same animal.

The Russian fleet carrier would probably have conducted operations reasonably well in peacetime; maybe not in wartime. Again, lack of experience in the operation art of carrier warfare. Don't know about anyone else, but I haven't ever seen a Russian repleneshment ship that was specifically intended to support carrier ops. That woul make ofr nasty logistical problems.

G
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
Again I dont even pretend to know Naval stuff but even if they had the actual ship, building aircraft to take the ounding of landing isa omthing else. then there is the problem of running the deck. they have no SOP.

Josh Weingarten
aKA shiryon
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Again I dont even pretend to know Naval stuff but even if they had the actual ship, building aircraft to take the ounding of landing isa omthing else. then there is the problem of running the deck. they have no SOP.

Josh Weingarten
aKA shiryon

Josh--I am with you on this one. My knowledge of mosquitoes beats anything I know about naval warfare and their associated tactics and techniques. I hope someone will post something I feel more confident discussing....
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Again I dont even pretend to know Naval stuff but even if they had the actual ship, building aircraft to take the ounding of landing isa omthing else. then there is the problem of running the deck. they have no SOP

I think Chief is our man - He is an airdale (naval aviation). Having said that, if I remember correctly, it was a VTOL type carrier. The Soviets had a pretty robust aircraft development program so designing and building a carrier-capable aircraft was not the problem. IMHO the downfall would be the logistics. If they didn't have an un-rep capability, the carrier would be useless. You can't project power if you can't supply yourself with beans and bullets.
Cob
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:10 PM UTC
It takes a lot of practice and learning to grow eyes in the back of your head to "Do the Dance" up there on the flight-deck. They told us greenshirts that working up there was the single most dangerous occupation regularly engaged in by modern man. I also have some serious question about that ski-jump ramp arrangement that they have. It might work fine with something small like a Sea Harrier, but what would happen to something the size of their Sea Flanker trying to make a rolling take-off with a full combat load into any decent sea state with wind willa-wawing around that bow stuck up in the air?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC
I respectfully defer to your superior knowledge of ships and planes. The closest I have ever been is a visit to the USS Lexington in Pensacola. Dangerous line of work.
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC
We need to add the US Fleet capability. The North Carolinas and South Dakota class were either in the water or working up in the early 40's. The Iowa class were in building stage and there were plane to build a class of Super-Iowas" with four three-gun turrets with new improved 16" guns. Add the plethora of new cruisers, destroyers and carriers to add to British, Canadian and possibly French heavy units and the Germans are still in the hole.

Next, how do the Japanese fit into all this? They spread out in 1941 based on teh Germans tying down the British, Dutch and French fleets in the Atlantic and Med. Would they have still sat still while US had the embargo in place? Would they continue to build more Yamato-class BBs and more CVs? they did continue to launch new carriers throughout the war, but ran out of trained carrier qualified aircrews.

Oh yea, how would Germany fuel this large fleet? With Coal? I don't think they had the oil resources to keep the fleet going. Plus, similiar to their lack of carrier experience, they had no "underway replenishment" experience. And forget their naval aviation: Sea Stukas, biplane torpedo bombers and BF-109Ts. Bf-109s had terrible legs. How would they escort a strike? I know, the British also had a biplane torpedo bomber. They never had to force an attack against F6F Hellcats ot A6M Zeros. (By the time the British Fleet arrived in force in the Pacific they were entirely equipped with US naval aircraft.)

Just more fodder about Nazi dreams.

Thank goodness!!!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We need to add the US Fleet capability. The North Carolinas and South Dakota class were either in the water or working up in the early 40's. The Iowa class were in building stage and there were plane to build a class of Super-Iowas" with four three-gun turrets with new improved 16" guns. Add the plethora of new cruisers, destroyers and carriers to add to British, Canadian and possibly French heavy units and the Germans are still in the hole.

Next, how do the Japanese fit into all this? They spread out in 1941 based on teh Germans tying down the British, Dutch and French fleets in the Atlantic and Med. Would they have still sat still while US had the embargo in place? Would they continue to build more Yamato-class BBs and more CVs? they did continue to launch new carriers throughout the war, but ran out of trained carrier qualified aircrews.

Oh yea, how would Germany fuel this large fleet? With Coal? I don't think they had the oil resources to keep the fleet going. Plus, similiar to their lack of carrier experience, they had no "underway replenishment" experience. And forget their naval aviation: Sea Stukas, biplane torpedo bombers and BF-109Ts. Bf-109s had terrible legs. How would they escort a strike? I know, the British also had a biplane torpedo bomber. They never had to force an attack against F6F Hellcats ot A6M Zeros. (By the time the British Fleet arrived in force in the Pacific they were entirely equipped with US naval aircraft.)

Just more fodder about Nazi dreams.

Thank goodness!!!!

Jeff--As we spoke of sometime ago, your note once again points out the futility of the BB building program prior to WW II. The Yamato Class get involved only in the Battle of Leyete Gulf in '44 as I recall where she fires on the escort carriers and destroyers off the beach before running for home. Musashi (spelling?) is sunk by carrier aircraft during the Battle of the Phillipine Seas while Yamato dies enroute to Okinawa. I don't think they ever slug it out with another BB. Am I correct here?
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
DJ,

You nailed it. Without carrier support battleships are all but obsolete for their intended purpose. Musashi (?) never fired at another ship in anger, if I recall correctly, and Yamato only at DDs, DEs and CVEs. The only Japanese BB engagements were at one of the Savo Island battles where North Carolina sank the Kirishima (again I believe, a Japanese BB was added to Iron Bottom Sound), and the infamous Surigaio Straits massacre by teh "Ghosts of Pearl Harbor". I don't recall any Japanese BBs (I think only Japanese crusiers and destroyers and land based aircraft were present) involved in chasing down ABDA Fleet during initial conquest of Indonesia.

Very sorry performance for Japanese BBs. I seem to recall that only Guadalcanal ever suffered their rath form shore bombardment. The Japanese tended to use cruisers and destroyers to provide shore bombardment during their intial invasions.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

You nailed it. Without carrier support battleships are all but obsolete for their intended purpose. Musashi (?) never fired at another ship in anger, if I recall correctly, and Yamato only at DDs, DEs and CVEs. The only Japanese BB engagements were at one of the Savo Island battles where North Carolina sank the Kirishima (again I believe, a Japanese BB was added to Iron Bottom Sound), and the infamous Surigaio Straits massacre by teh "Ghosts of Pearl Harbor". I don't recall any Japanese BBs (I think only Japanese crusiers and destroyers and land based aircraft were present) involved in chasing down ABDA Fleet during initial conquest of Indonesia.

Very sorry performance for Japanese BBs. I seem to recall that only Guadalcanal ever suffered their rath form shore bombardment. The Japanese tended to use cruisers and destroyers to provide shore bombardment during their intial invasions.

Jeff---- aside from our mutual atrocious spelling errors, I believe we are correct in stating that the Japanese and US never used the BBs for their intended role. I believe the Brits fought several Mediterranean engagements with the Italians that pitted BB against BB.
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC
The BBs were occasionally used as their makers intended. Battheships from both sides dueled at night in Ironbottom Sound during the Guadalcanal campaign. Washington and South Dakota demolished Kirishima in one of those, I believe. Also, both battle lines engaged (again at night) in the Battle of Surgao Straits durign the larger Philippine Sea battle in '44. The US battleships crossedthe Japanese T and usign radar gunnery ranging sank Yamashiro and Fuso as well as smaller ships.

And Yamato was nearly taken down by BBs. Admiral Olendorf wanted to send his battleship screening force to engage her, as they weren't needed for shore bombardment. But the carier admirals scotched the idea, wanting to shut the battlewagon boys out of the fight for internal political reasons. Too bad...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The BBs were occasionally used as their makers intended. Battheships from both sides dueled at night in Ironbottom Sound during the Guadalcanal campaign. Washington and South Dakota demolished Kirishima in one of those, I believe. Also, both battle lines engaged (again at night) in the Battle of Surgao Straits durign the larger Philippine Sea battle in '44. The US battleships crossedthe Japanese T and usign radar gunnery ranging sank Yamashiro and Fuso as well as smaller ships.

And Yamato was nearly taken down by BBs. Admiral Olendorf wanted to send his battleship screening force to engage her, as they weren't needed for shore bombardment. But the carier admirals scotched the idea, wanting to shut the battlewagon boys out of the fight for internal political reasons. Too bad...

The only point I differ with you on would your last paragraph. I recall that Spruance (a BB guy) flashes Halsey (a CV guy) the message "you take him." I believe you'll find that in "Suicide for Glory" about the final journey of the Yamato....
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC
Maybe so, DJ... My own recollections from other sources (titles now long forgotten) is that the BBs had steam up to do turns for maximum speed to go after Yamato and the request to alter course to engage was denied. Undoubtedly there was also a loss of life factor involved in the decision. Yamato might very well have seriously damaged or sunk one of the BBs befroe seh went down, and the losses in that eventuality would be far higher htan that of losing a few aircrew to Japanese antiaircraft. At that late stage of the war I'm sure there was considerable risk/benefit analysis going on, as everyone realized that the enemy was very nearly done so why take casualties you don't need to take.

Getting off topic, but the whole evolution of this thread makes me wonder what might have occurred had Surface Action Groups based around an Iowa and a Kirov might have fared against each other.

Greg