Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
Some pretty interesting photos.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
Yeah, some cool shots. If you haven't already check out the HeloTowJob video, the LostMyJobToday pics, and the WomenLiveLonger pics.

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
I want to know how the car got there. I don't care who was driving, I just want to know how.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC
HOLY COW - some great photos - nice diroama ideas.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC
Excellent stuff here, excellent. The WomenLiveLonger remindes of the good old days at GM. Ha, ha! This is pretty much right on the money.

thanks and take care, Sgirty
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Steve. Not only did it make me laugh, but there are some good diorama ideas there.
Good stuff.
Chuck
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
Very entertaining , I don't' want to stop laughing, it might get me thinking!

thanks for sharing
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 04:31 PM UTC
Yes gong to save and study!!
many thanks~
Ron

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
Looking at a lot of these plane mishaps, it kind of reminded me of the first time I hauled old tire casings from the air force base in Utah down to California.

Now at first I had no idea what they were going to do with these old tire casings, cause my trailer was clear full of them, and they were for the big cargo jets, the biggest tires they have, loaded clear to the roof.

Well I got to this small place, and come to find out they recap them, so I got to talking to them, cause everyone of them tires were worn clear to the cords in a lot of places.

Now on a truck tire they aren't allowed to recap them once the cords are showing, or the face is broken in anywhere to the cords, but here these tires had cords showing everywhere in patches where they hit in landings.

So I asked are these being recapped for farm use, cause I knew farmers bought old aircraft recapped tires sometimes, to put on their equipment. He said no, these go back on planes, and I thought he was joking, cause this is totally against the law for truck tires.

He said oh no, we do this all the time, he also said better then 60% to 70 % of the tires out there are recaps on the big jets, other wise they could never
afford to keep up the tires, then he told me it cost between 4 to 600 dollars to cap one of them big aircraft tires.

Now this was in the early 90's, then I said what about the cords showing, he said they check to see how many ply they went through, and if they went through to many then they get rejected, but they have way more ply then a truck tire has.

Then I said you only do this for the service then, right, then, he said no, we do it for the passenger liners just as much, they haft to have tires to.

Then it really got to scaring me to know that when you land, your landing on mostly recaps, but as I hauled more and more loads to their other shops across the nation, I found out they are just as safe as a new one.

Now I have looked at their recaps they do for aircraft, and they do a way better job then most truck places ever would, even the best truck places don't even look as nice as these do when they are done with them.

Cause I finally got to look at the finished product, and it was nothing but first line, I even tried to ask them if they would recap my truck tires for me, cause if they were doing it, then I would trust them, but not these other places, that do truck tires, that is why you see so much a long side of the roads, real poor workmanship.

I've seen some truck places that didn't even line up the tread, so they would wear a lot quicker, and seen the sides not glued all the way down, and this is without even being mounted on a truck yet,a brand new cap job, and it was loose.
Sorry about the long story, but I thought a few might like to know about the recaps on the passenger liners.

Oh after I found all this out, then I wanted to find out how long one of them big tires lasted, well this took me months before I found a high enough ranking officer that flew one.

Then he told me it all depended on how you landed, if everything went OK every-time, then it could last up to 20 to 30 times probably, but then he said, all it takes is one bad cross wind, to make just one set of tires touch side ways, then they only get one landing, it is shot, with all that weight, and they haft to change them before they take off again.

Kerry
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

r e b
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC
very neat link!!!thanks for posting it!!!!
 _GOTOTOP