_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
glueing plaster to plaster
redskin67
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hello, quick question from a thick spud, I'm pretty new to model making and just got a "german flak shelter." What glue do I use to assemble it, standard modelling glue or is there a speciality one I need ??

Thanks
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
entire network: 5,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
First welcome to Armorama,
I've always glued plaster to plaster with white glue more or less diluted with water.
I see at least two advantages : 1. if your bond is incorrect you can separate the parts before it is dry and do it again ; 2. this glue fills the gap between the parts and become transparent when dry.
To be honest there is also one drawback, the bond is not as hard as with cyanolite.
But generally plaster element are designed to diorama basis so it is not that important.

olivier
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
Redskin, I have always used a hot glue gun to cement plaster to plaster, never had a piece come adrift on me yet.

Vinnie
redskin67
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
Thanks lads, I don't have a glue gun so I'll go with the white glue for now, oh, I just found the intro forum so I'll go and post a HELLO there which I should have done already, oops. Thanks again.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:31 AM UTC
Redskin, furniture grade wood glue sets up fast but not so fast that you can't work with it. Dries a tad yellowish, takes primer and all paints well. This can also be used as a gap filler and for textures. Used it to glue a Custom Dio wharfside thingie and decided to scarper the stairs for another project but also wanted to reuse the wall elements. Well no such luck had to destroy the wall section to get the stairs this stuff sets permanent as in forever. The container says it has a 2-ton holding strength whatever the hell that means, looks like I've got to limit my dios to 2 tons if I want to hang them from the ceiling. Welcome to ARMORAMA by the way everyone here is very helpful I'm a n.f.g. myself. - Cheyenne
redskin67
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 08:24 AM UTC
cheers cheyenne, the furniture glue sounds toooooo dangerous for me to be let loose with, I'd wake up in the morning with cats and dogs walking round stuck to each other. Maybe when I'm older the wife might trust me with it
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
Try Spackle, or whatever brand name you have there(it's plaster patch in a can).

Art
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC
I have always used the gap filling superglue. I usually spend weeks getting the pieces just so and triple check alignment before I glue. Then...I superglue. I have used white glue-dilute when making rubble piles. Generally I make a little mound out of cell-u-clay (that paper machete like stuff) spray it with the white glue dilute in a pump-spray bottle, and add busted rock and brick and wood slivers, etc and then spray the hell out of it to get it to set. I also use real dirt to mix in ...Gone out and found different colors of dirt, run them through a fine sifter and put the dirt in bottles..got somethng close to 6 different shades from near black to real light tan...a yellowish tinge and a reddish tinge one as well. sorry probably a lot more than you asked, but hopefully some useful info
Klown
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 71 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
I used Araldite to stick together some plaster building, you just have to be carefull not to get it on the front of the building because it is not easy to paint over and you can loose some of the detail as it is quite a thick glue.... if that made any sense
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 03:19 AM UTC
I use white glue as well, but I also drill holes and use toothpicks as dowels to add a little strength.
 _GOTOTOP