History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
A neat day at work
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
I have a kind of unusual job. I "chat" on line all day with customers. I might be chatting with people all over the world. Today I had a customer order something from me. When I got to his name he said Joseph Chennault. I asked him if he was any relation to the General of the Flying Tigers. After saying he was surprised that I was a real person, so many people think we're computerized, he asked me how old I was. He said it was unusual to find anybody under 80 who even knew what the AVG was. When I told him 49, and a history buff, he admitted he was the General's son. Now, this is over a chat line and anybody could say anything they wanted, but his name certainly checked out. I was impressed. He mentioned there were 32 AVG members still alive and that he hoped to make it to their reunion this year.

I just though this was pretty cool.

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
That is indeed very cool. It's sad that in his experience he believes that most people have forgotten. Perhaps with much younger people that may be true. I know in my case, at 54, with a father who was an aviation engineer in the China Burma India theater, there's no way I'd not know that name. How cool would it be to listen to the stories first hand of these wonderful men who risked so much to form the AVG!!!

Tom
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC
That's really cool Roger....
If he calls back, give him the site, and we could all chat with him..... no fair you having all the fun....... :-) :-) :-)
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
That is real neat Roger, At my School I doubt there is many students apart from myself who Know who the AVG are let alone who was their commander and where they flew.
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
That is great!
I plan to make an 1/32 AVG P-40!
Ron