Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
motorcycle fans, i need your 2 cents!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
alright, started riding dirtbikes last year after almsot 10 years of 4 wheeling, ( kept 4 wheelign also) and well ive been needing a bigger bike.

found a yz that looks interesting, and a tt-r, thing is ive never heard anyhting about the tt-r

could anyone tell me if there any good?

Frank
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

found a yz that looks interesting, and a tt-r, thing is ive never heard anyhting about the tt-r
Frank

Do you know who makes the TT-R? I've never heard of that one. The YZ is obviously some strange little Yamaha 2-stroke buzz box.
I've been involved with motor bikes most of my life, on and off road, and you can't beat a thumping great 4-stroke for sheer grunt.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 08:27 PM UTC
what size engine is it ? 2 stroke are a lot of fun and some of the engines around 250cc have a lot of grunt in them..........very lous as well :-) :-) :-)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
Yamaha makes the tt-r, on htere site they say it has the same frame as the yz but its smaller, made for smaller riders, 31 inches tall and hte yz is around 40 sumthing

both are 125's, but yet i was thinking about buying a dual purpose, 4 strokes but then id need soemthing around 200 somethign cc's, anbd need a license etc, and i dont trust them as much in trails for soem funny reason.

o, and the tt-r is a 2 strokes

Frank
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been involved with motor bikes most of my life, on and off road, and you can't beat a thumping great 4-stroke for sheer grunt.

I'm with you Dave. If you need more power on an off-roader, you can't beat a P11 (750cc Atlas in Matchless scrambles frame for those not in know)! But I am biased being a Norton owner.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I'm with you Dave. If you need more power on an off-roader, you can't beat a P11 (750cc Atlas in Matchless scrambles frame for those not in know)! But I am biased being a Norton owner.

The Atlas vibrated too much for a road bike, hence the Commando! The 650SS was fantastic though.
I rode a 350 Trifield (Triumph twin in an Enfield frame) off road, plus a 750 Bonnie and a Norton 50mkII 350cc single cafe-racer on the road (open exhaust, clip-ons, amal monobloc, manx racing colours, commando front and rear drum brakes - a real little ripper). All many years ago now unfortunately - too many blind car drivers now for me to enjoy two wheels.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Atlas vibrated too much for a road bike, hence the Commando! The 650SS was fantastic though.

Yep, the old Atlas did vibrate a bit (unless you got the crank balanced). I remember taking my hands off to adjust my goggles & struggling to decide which set of bars to put them back on! But it's not as bad as a RE Constellation with a broken head steady! By contrast my Commando is smooth even @ 90! I had a Mercury (650SS with 1 carb & coil ignition) for 13 years & it was indeed a peach.
I suspect poor Francois hasn't a clue what we're on about!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I suspect poor Francois hasn't a clue what we're on about!

Yeh, sorry if we've hijacked your thread Francois. Bikers are like modellers - once we start talking about a theme we love we just can't shut up.Hell, Chrissie and I even got married in our leather jackets

Steve, what I'd really love is a Triton - featherbed chassis, roadholder forks etc with a well sorted 650 bonnie bolted in - wake up to twin meggas in the morning, beats an alarm clock.
Francois, if you are limited to a smaller cc engine then a two-stroke is probably the way to go, but my friends always reckoned that Hondas were better for general dirt use than Yammies - less fragile. My single pot Matchy 4-stroke though would go places that their rice-burner two strokes gave up just at the thought of, for scrambles type riding (nowadays Moto-X) the twin 350 was the bees knees.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
I miss my motorcycle...... boo----hooo------ I really miss it......
maybe it was old and beat up like me, but we spent many years together...... more years than I was with the Mrs..... ..... :-) :-) :-) Was nothing fancy... just an old beat up 82 Kowie.... and I finished up my riding career with a sidecar..... !!!! :-) :-) :-)
Frank, just wear a helmet.... and remember the snowboarding accident......
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:26 PM UTC
what snowboarding accident????

lmao, dave, dont worry, i might not wear one when snowboarding, but ive got a lot of past experiences with 4 wheelers that make me wear a helmet today lol, whats the point of havign an atv or dirtbike if u dont try silly things? as long as u stay safe... a little... :-)

steve, dave, ive got a little idea what ur talking about lol
i like the honda 4 wheelers, the first atv i rode was a 250 fourtrax from honda, its an 86' and i still have it, low maintainance cost, and rides well. problem is, there arnt many honda's for sale around here, my wallet limits me to buying used one ( better than new because you lose less money when u sell it) plus iam getting my drivers soon, and insurance is a killer.

Frank
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) Silly things.... hell, I was nearly 50, and managed to roll/dump my bike with a sidecar........ Had a helmet... and about a 20 yard road rash on my right arm..... still managed to make it to the concert in the park .... on time.... just a little sore and bloody..... :-) :-) :-)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 02:35 PM UTC
lmao, 50 hien? back when u were young? i remember a few stories my dad told me about when he had his road bikes... thigns like not making the curve and smashing in a fence... that same place had a trucks smash in the house, dangerous place,anyhow. hitting ice in fall and spending hours trying to get his bike out of the ditch making my mom wait for him to arive lol

ive been lucky with dirtbikes so far. there was a little sandpit surounded by forest, which had a 5 foot slope leading into the forest trails, but well, everything with an angle is a jump for me, ive got the jump a few times before, but this time something wasnt right, i go the wrong angle and since the landing turned and was realy bumpy, i few in the tress and plants lol, nothign bad, a realy sor leg, but not long after i was doing the jump again lol

Frank
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i remember a few stories my dad told me about when he had his road bikes... thigns like not making the curve and smashing in a fence...Frank

My first road bike after I passed my test was a Kawasaki - my only Jap bike ever. Dumped me in a ditch at 96 (speedo jammed at that reading) trying to follow a 20-year old Norton round a bend. Luckily I got up and walked away.
After that I always had Brit Irons.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 12:00 AM UTC
I simply forgot to down shift, forgetting that a sidecar comes up really easy on right hand turns.... (we ride with them on the right here in the US.... I believe in the UK it's on the left)....
and took a 90 degree right turn wayyyyyyyyy too fast...... But with the sidecar... it was really easy to get back up on three wheels..... all leverage ya know....... !!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Only other time I dumped her was on two wheels..... going really too slow...... and turned my head to watch a blue thong bathing suit bend over....... and yous guys know what happens and where you go..... doing that....... LOL rolling on floor......
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
Wish I was at least looking at a blue thong..nope I got the dummy that never saw me and hit me with his car...ouch for 3 months. Old honda 450...damn thing was mangled but when I got it back...started right up! Would love to get another and every spring the fever kicks in.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 07:51 AM UTC
lol, Dave, at least she wasnt aware you were looking at her. last summer my friend and i were going to "play tennis" yeah right, lol, turned out to be more of a who wacks who the hardest kidna game lol, anyhow, on our way to the court, we pass by a house with hedges and a pool on the other side, luckely for us, a good looking girl was about to jump in, she was also our age unfortunatly noticed we were staring and yelled at us... iam wondering if shes ever gonna call the cops, since my friends cant not look at her lol aaa yes, young and single teenage boys.

Frank