_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
looking for reviews of my work. M-41 Bulldog
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hello all. I am looking for some feedback on my current model thats about 97% done. If you think its great then go ahead and say so, but I would really like to hear what I could do better next time (or fix now if its not to late). Please keep in mind it is only my second armor model ever. I know I have a lot to learn, so go ahead and school me. Thanks for taking time to do this.

http://members.tripod.com/andrewsmodels/M41%20Walker%20Bulldog.htm
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 02:34 PM UTC
very nice job! Am interested in how you got that wood texture and how you painted the tracks
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
Pretty good job! I can say that its quite a bit better than my first tank---an old Monogram Panzer 4 in 1/32. You have the dust weathering down good, the only thing that I might suggest would be to work on dry-brushing for the worn, bare metal areas.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC
Nice job, which kit is it? The tracks make it look like the Tamiya kit, there is no detail on the inner surfaces but the sponson box details make it look like one of the new M41 kits or that the Eduard PE set was used.

Like I said, you did a good job. The tracks are well done, but since they are the old one-sided type, they will detract from the overall appearance of the kit.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 08:58 PM UTC
Nice job Drew. Muffler rust is my hangup I see you did it about the same way I did mine after applying I should of rusted it before I applied it. Great job on tools This I would like to know the color of. Overall very good. Your model is the Tamiya one. which actually is quite good. Compared to all those little parts that come with the AFv club one
Hasta Lavista Amigo (:-)
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Am interested in how you got that wood texture and how you painted the tracks

The wood grain was molded into the plastic part. I painted the whole thing with a base coat of acrylic model master wood. Then I got several different colors of enamel model master browns and washed each board with a different one so each board looked a little different.

Quoted Text

The tracks make it look like the Tamiya kit, there is no detail on the inner surfaces but the sponson box details make it look like one of the new M41 kits or that the Eduard PE set was used.

Like I said, you did a good job. The tracks are well done, but since they are the old one-sided type, they will detract from the overall appearance of the kit.

It is the tamiya kit. All the extra stuff I added is made of styrene. I also changed some of the weld lines on the turet to match some that where in the Squaderon in action book. I may end up replacing the tracks because of the lack of detail on the inside. I pained them with a base of clear dull acrylic. From there is sprayed them acrylic model master gunmetal. After that I drybrused them with model master non-buffing stainless steal. Lastly I dusted them with some pastel chalk.

Quoted Text

This I would like to know the color of.

I base coated the model with acrylic tamiya paint mixed about 60% OD and 40% white. After that I applied a couple coats of oil paints. The mix of oils I use for OD is gold ochre and green earth hue. After trying mix a bunch of colors to get OD, I found those 2 work the best by themselfs. You may want to tone it down a hair with some gray if its to bright. The model itself looks "greener" but my digital camera makes it seem a little more brown for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback and tips, feel free to keep them coming.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
I think you did a good job, here, Drew. I too like the looks of the wood and the chain on the back is a nice touch. In the picture of the left side of the model, it looks as if the vinyl track was warped or something, as it rises where it should sag. You should be able to remedy this simply by gluing (using CA or epoxy) the track to the return rollers. I might be inclined to have more smaller chips and worn areas around hatches and well-used areas, but that's just my own opinion.
Keep it up.

Nic
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
Good job.I built that one too,it IS the Tamiya .I added the eduard,and a resin gunsheild and aux motor muffler. I added a collectors brass pioneer tool rack to the front slope,I had a picture of M-41's like that.
Constructive criticism,add a .50 call ammo box/holder to the .50.I believe that is part of the mount,so you could have an empty mount(no gun) but still have the mount for the box.
If I don't get too lazy,I will load my pictures of my M-41 somehere so you can see my Mods.And of course,You know I have the AFV club one....
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
Looks great, Andrew!
I like the messages on the mufflers... "Road Kill Grill" ...heh heh.... :-) It gives the feeling of a tank crew living in the tank.
The tool rack looks nice. The detail on the sides you added is good.
I'm not sure if all Bulldogs had this, but should there be tie-down rings in front of the headlights?
Again, it looks great! Keep up the good work!!!

YodaMan
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 411 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 06:42 PM UTC
Drewgimpy,

I visited your web site and really like your Bulldog and Sherman as well.
By the way, you got two lovely kids (one girl and boy?)

Steve
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 06:49 PM UTC
One question for you Drew Are those Mv lenses if so where did you find a black IR lights only thing I can find is red?
Thanks (:-)
Josenhans
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
Great job, better then mine. I will be honest in what I don't like.
1.The ropes don't look natural, they don't lay right and there is too much of it.
2. The exposed metal scraps look like they need more work or change your method.
3. The tools handles look good but not like they have been used at all. They all match in appearance.
4. The rust looks like its too much. I would think that any crew would maintain there vehicle better then that, I know we did. That kind of rust seems like it would be on a destroyed or abandoned vehicle.
Agian, it does look good, not to late at all to touch it up a bit. I offer this review with much respect with only the intention of helping you out.
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
I'm working on the same kit right now and after seeing yours I am faced with two options:

1. Put the thing away and work on something else

or

2. Take inspiration from yours and hope mine turns out as half as good.

Mark
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One question for you Drew Are those Mv lenses if so where did you find a black IR lights only thing I can find is red?

I used clear epoxy for the lights. The colored ones are just a mix of clear model master red and blue acrylic that I mixed in with the epoxy.

Quoted Text

Great job, better then mine. I will be honest in what I don't like.

I can't thank you enough, this is exactly what I was looking for. Even if I don't agree I still like to know what others see that I may have missed. The rust on the tracks is suppose to be dirt. Looks like I need to pick a better color . Anyway thanks again and to everyone else who has comented.
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC
I think it s a very well done tank considering it s only your second!!! My second tank is no where compared to yours! The tracks are very well weathered and the wood is extremely realistic.... On the other hand i think that the main body of the tank should deserve more weathering and the rust seems to be over exaggarated. Hope you won t mind my direct comments......
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 01:38 AM UTC
Good job mate, I like it.
I would have to agree that it looks to be alot of rope holding on the tentage/bundles. Also in the tools(great colours on them) there is a spanner and a small hammer these are not secured and surely would be lost at the first cross-country driving, this is only a problem if you plan on having the tank moving (maybe I'm just bitter at bailing out people who have lost their tools ).
I do like the chain on the back, is this real chain painted and added? Why are the filters blue on the front? Is this in conjunction with a night viewing aid?

Robbo
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope you won t mind my direct comments......

Not at all friend, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Quoted Text

Why are the filters blue on the front? Is this in conjunction with a night viewing aid?

Well it is suppose to be more purple than blue. It looks purple inside but outside in the sun it looks more blue. All the pictures of the M-41 that I have seen have a set of colored lights like that for night driving when you don't want to be seen. The real tankers on the sight could fill you in a little better on what they are for. Thanks for the feedback guys.
 _GOTOTOP