_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
The best material for buildings
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:22 AM UTC
what is the best material to make buildings for a 135 dio and whatshould i use for the cast or mold it's for wwII bavarian houses andthat such
all help appreciated
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 05:39 AM UTC
Snipe... i do this professionally, and can tell you that the finest RTV Silicone I have found is the 1:1 "Pink & Blue" comopound sold by BARE-METAL FOILS. Great stuff. i believe I wrote you an email last week about how I build my models masters of Bavarian Buildings. If you use my instructions, then here is the next steps.

1) Place the buidling piece "Facing Front UP" into your container.

2) Edge the entire piece with old fashioned scotch tape around the edges to ensure both a clean edge and that the master won't move or slide when the RTV is poured in.

3) Spray a light misting of Silicone release agent and work it into the master with a soft brush... this will help with later removal.

4) Before pouring over the container of RTV to smother the master, first use a medium stiff bristle brush and paint on a thin coat of RTV "syrup" all over the master. This will insure the best adhesion to detail, and will GREATLY reduce air bubbles from forming around the finer details.

5) As soon as you have completed step four, wait 1 minutes, and then begin pouring your syrup into the mold container. Start at on end of the piece and slowly move the stream of syrup over the entire master until you no longer can see any detail or hint of the outline shape. If you mixed up too little syrup, don't worry... make a little more and add it on top - it won't even be noticiable. In fact, I prefer to pour too litle and make more than make more than I need and waste the expensive syrup.

6) Place the container in a dry, warm area, as level as possible (I actually use a mechanical level to insure perfect flatness!), and wait until the syrup cures and solidifies. When you think it is fully cured... wait another two hours just to be sure!

7) remove the cured RTV from the mold container, and slowly, working from one end of the form, begin carefully pulling the master from the mold.

8) Wash the mold with mild liquid detergent and warm water, and dry with a soft lint-free cloth.

You are now ready to make a hundred copies of your master! Good luck and send us pictures!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
Keith,

Whitch one is it? none seem to say Pink & blue

http://www.bare-metal.com/

Matt
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
Where do I get these supplies and are thy safe to do in my basement?

how do I "glue" the parts together and thn to my dio board?
 _GOTOTOP