_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Casting & Molding w/ Por a kast / Por a Mold
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 05:59 AM UTC
I went to make local figerglass store, and they said that these 3 thing are basically the same a what micro-mart has.I was wondering if anyone used this stuff before I buy there product; it's a good price.

1: POR-A-KAST Mark ( 1, 2, 3 ) ( RESIN )

2:Flexible Urethane Molds with POR-A-MOLD ( Type of silicone but it's called this )

3: Release agent called Synlube 531

Has anyone ever use this stuff it looks easy but I am not a mold expert, The process for the mold making is the same as the Feature that was posted here but it's not RTV silicone. But the resin is the same kind ( I think )because it's a 1/1 ratio and it turns white when done and can be sanded cut and all that good stuff that we love about resin.

In the Mark ( 1, 2, 3 ) the only difference is the workable time table but there still the same range from D72-D73 hardness.The time table is 2 to 3 minutes.

Happy Modeling
(++) 1:35
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Tom, I've used Por-a-cast before and even some Urethane mold stuff. The urethane stuff needs the release agent or your master part will be encased in the stuff where it will remain. (I speak from experience!) The Por-a-Cast stuff is alright. Cures to a nice white color and is water thin when mixing. As far as the working time, I found it to be around the 3-4 minute time once I got it mixed well. This still gave me ample time to get it and the mold into my pressure chamber for casting. As for the Synlube, have never used it. Anybody else? "Q"
 _GOTOTOP