Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Max Schmeling died.....
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:12 AM UTC
Ciao everyone,
I just saw that Max Schmeling, the former heavyweight champion of the world died today. I didn't know of his boxing career, and only knew of him as a Fallschirmjager who was severly wounded in combat.
I read the story about him on Yahoo and came to realize that he was a very good man who helped Jewish friends and never joined the Nazi party.
Just thought I would let you all know
Ciao for now
Rob
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
Yep, Schmeling was an awesome boxer and considered the "Champion of the Reich"! He was the first fighter to beat Joe Louis and he did it by knockout in 1936. In 1938, Louis returned the favor by doing the same to Schmeling.

He was 99 years old and the cause of death says unknown!!! Hello! He was 99 years old!!!!!!!!! He had a good long life.

Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
I saw this neat movie called Joe & Max that was about their fights and subsequent freindship. The movie covered both of their lives after the 2 fights - I found it interesting that Coca-Cola hired Max to be their spokesperson for their product for overseas markets in Europe & South America I believe. Not 4 stars, but a good flick to rent or catch on cable.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 03:30 AM UTC
It was a kind thing that Max paid for all Joe's medical treatment later in life. And it's rumoured that Hitler had him placed in the paratroopers as a Pte for being beat by Joe.