_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Straightening Warped Resin-LARGE item...
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
O.K., need a little advice here. I'm trying to determine whether a project SWMBO has detailed me with is even worth attempting. She 'inherited' a very old oval picture frame from her Grandmother, which over the years and several moves has acquired a distinct multi-directional warp. We're talking a deflection of 12cm at the extreme. Now I know this thing is some sort of resin, but as it's over 50 years old I'm hard pressed to believe it's a poly base- more likely aliphatic. It also isn't flat on the facing side, rather it is cast as a chain of roses.

So my dilemma is this- Do I chance soaking this thing in a large vat (it's about 50x70cm) of very hot water, then pressing it under a large heavy slab of something(or clamping it between thick boards)? Should I attempt to steam it in an autoclave(I do have access to one oddly enough)then hand work it back to shape?
Or do I do what seems most reasonable, bin the bloody thing & get back to work on my Project X entry?

Ayone have any ideas?
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:47 AM UTC
Ciao Rob,
I really don't know what to do, I just wanted to say hello since I haven't seen you in a while. How' the family?
You know, why not put it under some weight for a while and see if will flatten out? If not, then try the hot water method.
Ciao for now
Rob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC
Wait for that wonderful HOT NC weather.... place in back yard...
in sun, assign SWMBO the task of temperature control, (It will help her feel needed in the project) Once NC sun warms the beer to boiling point, place a board, and weight on frame, go inside, have a few cold ones, assigning SWMBO the task of frame straightness watch. ( It will continue to re-enforce her important role in this task). Have a few more cold ones......
If the above fails, feel free to blame the grumpyoldman.....
SWMBO will now have basked in the sun, developed a tan, and will now have a new focus for the failure to straighten the frame.
Namely the grumpyoldman, not her wonderful caring hubby.... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
How about one of those old tennis rack thingys, they were used to keep wooden rackets straight. This in combination with water/steam? may do the trick. Hang it in your showerroom for a couple of weeks.
I don't know just guessing here.

Bruce
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 10:44 PM UTC
Robert, you know how fragile it is, so you know if you got to wrap it or anything to protect it, but I believe Dave has the best idea, to let the sun work on it first with the good old heat, and weight, cause I'd imagine that is what caused it was setting in the attic on something not level where it was real hot, and got warped in the first place.

It will be best if you don't wrap it, and have it on something dark to absorb the heat, and weight it down, but make sure it don't get to hot.

I've got things that I've had in my attic that have warped cause of heat, and I don't live that far south, but in the summer it can get up to 120 in the attic.
Kerry
 _GOTOTOP