_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Brand New At All This
Anaxagoras
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:24 AM UTC
Going through a low-level midlife crisis, I have decided to take up a new hobby, and have selected the making of military models. However, I have no experience at it, and was wondering if anyone woul be so kind as to point me in the direction of useful information for a person who is just getting started at it all.

Thanks for any help.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
hi mate, many ways to help you out, this hobby has plenty of stuff that needs to be learned to the point you'll most lickely die not nowign everythign there is to know about kits and painting etc.

The best way is to stick to the big A, get a digital cam and kits, and send some on progress pics for members to give pointers. the hobby isnt a gift you recieve at birth, like a special ability at sports, even if soem here have proved this wrong lol, it doesnt work that way for everyone, most lickely including you.

Practice is the second key to sucess, spent time trying techniques that are well explained in articles available here.

Definatly, you'l love the hobby if you have the slightest passion for history or learning new things.
heres what 7 years of modeling, hard work, a year at the big A and a lot of gave on my pershing lol.. and actualy, the year at the big a made me learn mreo than my 7 years of modelign alone lol so you have a head start

Frank
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:48 AM UTC
Well first off welcome to Armorama. I would recommend reading some of the older post here. Also don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. We have a lot of very talented people here who will love to help you out.

What type of military modeling do you want to do? Tanks, figures, trucks, planes, ships etc. If you want to start with the AFV's (armored fighting vehicles), you could stat with the Tamiya M-41 bull dog tank. It is a simple build that will give you a lot of detail and is relatively inexpensive. I think it still goes for around $12.00. I would suggest that you go down to your local hobby store and check out what they have and don't be afraid to ask the people there for their opinions. But I would suggest simple for starters.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:56 AM UTC
Ola Anaxagoras

Welcome to this site and... Welcome to this wonderfull hobby.

My Advice get some basic tools for doing the most generic stuff. Cutting, Sanding, Painting and of course glue.
Here is a good article from the features section of the site by Rodger Cole AKA Halfyank called Modelling on the Cheap
Another good article about the needed tools by Rob Gronovius (Sabot) Called Model Makers Toolbox

Further I would suggest you to start small. Buy a cheap kit that is easy to assmeble... Kit`s from Italeri are quite good to start with... They are easy to built cheap and they will end up in a very good looking model.
Read and ask a lot here on Armorama, Test what you have learned on the vehicle you are working on. The best way to learn stuff is to apply them to the vehicle and see what it does.
Don`t bother too much about historical Accuracies that comes when you are more experience and the Aftermarket stuff comes into play..
First learn to enjoy modelling.
The digital Camera part from 3442 is a very good one. Making pics of your work and show them here is a good way to get usefull feedback. Stuff you will learn from and which gives you new knowledge to go on with the next vehicle.
Also it is usefull to look at other peoples work. A lot of it can be learned. Look at pictures and ask yourself how the guy did that and try it yourself to achieve that same effect.
Further try the search function of the forums and look and read through the features on the site.... I think a lot of questions can be answered there and if you cannot find it in the Forums we have a whole bunch of good guys that are always willing to help you out in finding that answer.

I hope you will have a good time here and I`m looking forward to pictures in the future.. Don`t be afraid to show your work and never be afraid to ask questions... Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question... the only stupid question is the one that isn`t asked.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:52 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Anaxagoras.
Nice to have you join us.
If I was just starting out, I would take some time and read up on the various topics in the forums, on painting, and general modelling, tools and supplies. You'll find most of your questions answered, and does not cost a dime.
I would also suggest signing up for the AGE2 campaign. It's for newcomers, returnees, and those under age 17. You get to meet and inter-act with the group, and get plenty of help.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
Welcome Anaxagoras: to Armorama and all our mid life crisises/crisi (oh what ever). Anyway this site( Starting Out )helped me get the basics back, when I stepped back into the world of modelling, which is a universe away from when I was 1st into the hobby in the 70s. I hope it gives you as much fun & stress relief as it does me.
And of course there is tons of info here, just search for different topics through the old threads
cheers
Bruce

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 02:43 PM UTC
First of all - welcome to Armorama. This is THE best site for scale modeling. You will find All types of builders, all skill levels, all photo skill levels, all type of models, all of it - right here.

So - read the above threads - all of them great tips. So I won't repeat the information.
What I will say is - Have fun. First build for yourself.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
There are plenty of people just like you who have little or no experience. First I think you need to pick a kit you'd like to build. From there you can ask specific questions and the members here will help you along the way. Then using that specific knowledge you can get a second kit and apply your new found knowledge. Don't be afraid to use your imagination. Building models is never a set method or rules.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Anaxagoras. Speaking as one who is still undergoing mid-life crisis I have to say modelling goes a long way among other things as a great stress reliever and on rare occasion a stress creator (only when accidents happen though).

The guys here have pretty much covered everything but starting slow is probably your best bet. Figure out which area you like to start (aircraft, ships, figures). Buy some cheap brushes and paints and gradually build up to more better and expensive equipment.

Just think of Amorama as a place where hundreds of crazy people all over the world meeting in one "place" at the same time and building models simultaneously 24 hrs/7 days and you can ask any questions, anytime.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 04:40 PM UTC
What all the other guys said and one more thing. Go to the IPMS site and see if there's local club near you. Attend a meeting or two and join up if you like the guys. Also, if armor is what's attracting you and you're near Austin, check out the Austin chapter of AMPS (Armor Modeling and Preservation Society)
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
Welcome to the addiction.. i mean hobby... .. best way to start out is to start out small.... don't try to do it all at once.... i started out about 4 years ago now.. and I took a year just to collect a large selection of paint.. bought 1 or 2 bottles a week.. or a different tool... ... buying slow and steady builds up your supplys in no time...

second if you decided to get into airbrushing.. remember a compressor with a regulator is a must and will prob be one of the most costly items for someone starting out... also on airbrushs its esp true that u get what you pay for..

As for building.. i try to improve with each build and try at least 1 new technique each build.. mostly they work but i've got a couple of spots that need work yet..

good luck..

Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
Welcome to the Big A Anaxagoras, you're going to live your time here. I'm in the same boat as you, a new modeler with limited experience but I've spent a lot of time reading posts on these boards, chatting with people via private messages and drinking in the absolute treasure trove of knowledge available to you here.

Do not hesitate to ask for help, everyone here is as nice as they are skilled as modelers. As someone else said, jump into the AGE2 campaign for us neophytes. I've held off really building much other than a horrific looking cheap hummer last year lol. Last week I said to heck with it and joined the Tank Terror campaign to force myself to build something, so I'm doing a dio. It'll be full of errors and things I'll hate about it but that's how ya learn. Enjoy!
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Welcome Anaxagoras. From one new guy to another, take the advice from those that have posted before me. I recently got back into the hobby after about 30 years and this site and it's members have proven to have a wealth of knowledge.

As for a first kit, mine was a M5a1 Stuart which I completely mangled. My second was a M3a1 Stuart which I screwed up when finishing. Then I decided to try something a little less demanding and got an Italeri DUKW. A very easy kit and fun build. It has just enough problems to challenge a newbie, but enough detail to please you when you're finished.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC
well, the guys pretty much said it all, so welcome to "the big A"
start if with..well...something you think you'll like! whether it be armor, figures, planes, dioramas etc...all your answers are here, have fun
-Shain
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC
Welcome to my addiction! The best advice I can give is, Pick TANKS! They love to get dirty! Also If you do decided on Tanks pick up Shepard Paines books on building military vehicles - He has influenced some of the best modelers around. And remember this is all for fun!
 _GOTOTOP