_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
OIF Book Upcoming
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
Since I enjoy this site so much I wanted everybody here to know about an upcoming book of mine on the 3rd ID in OIF. It will be published by Concord, but there is no publishing date yet, so it could be a long time down the road. I just got the news that they will be working on it now. But, as you can imagine, they have many other projects ahead of mine.

Two other Armorama members were very helpful; Heavy Artillery (Gino Quintiliani) and Don Busack who also runs Prime Portal.

I felt a book like this was in order since the sergeant I wrote it with had so many good photos that he culled together, I felt they should be shared along with the proper story of the 3rd ID in Iraq. Up to this point there has not really been a photo history of the 3rd ID and I wanted not only to show the men and equipment, but also give an historical perspective, which, again, has not been done to date. Concord did release two books just after the war, but there was no historical perspective, and there were a number of errors, as well as a number of wrong assumptions made as to why some occurrences happened. My book not only attempts to correct those errors and provide a concise history, but also tries to illustrate what we as modelers look for in a book such as this. I hope I have succeeded and I look forward to sharing this information with you.

Bob
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:36 AM UTC
I can not Thank You enough I have been waiting for something like this. Because I have collected almost every photo from almost every piece of newspapper as I could and I have roughly 10-15 GB of photo's for reference.

That book will give me a good accurate read and what happen in those pictures.When I got the pictures there were few words just describing a basic stuff going on.

Even if it takes a year it'll still be worth the wait.

Happy Modeling
(++) 1:35
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 01:32 PM UTC
How about a limited run of copies autographed by the 3 of you. I would absolutely buy one.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
Keep us informed of the development & especially of the release date & I certainly would want to buy one.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 03:59 PM UTC
WoooooHooooooooo!!!

THANKS- first and foremost for your service! And additionally for preserving your accomplishments for history!

Looking forward to the release of this book!

And yes...an autographed ARMORAMA edition?!? That'd be GREAT!

Jim
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 05:45 PM UTC
That is great news, well done. I have heard books are much more work than they look to be.

Quoted Text

How about a limited run of copies autographed by the 3 of you. I would absolutely buy one

I second the motion! Maybe we could sign up (when the time comes) for those who would be intrested in buying the book from Armorama with the signatures of those involved. If there is enough intrest maybe Jim could get a deal on a large purchase as a fund raiser. Either way, I look forward to purchasing you book. Once again, well done!
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 06:01 PM UTC
No need for congratulations. The book has not come out yet. It may not even be very good by many people's standards (but I personally think it is, as it covers many aspects of the men and equipment - and history - not widely known, except by a few here).

I'm sure there will be independent reviews and/or you will see it in your hobby shop and you can decide for yourself. I just wanted to let folks here know about it since so many people on this site seem interested in the subject.

I'm eager to share the material with you, and I hope it comes out as good as I imagined.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No need for congratulations. The book has not come out yet. It may not even be very good by many people's standards (but I personally think it is, as it covers many aspects of the men and equipment - and history - not widely known, except by a few here).

I'm sure there will be independent reviews and/or you will see it in your hobby shop and you can decide for yourself. I just wanted to let folks here know about it since so many people on this site seem interested in the subject.

I'm eager to share the material with you, and I hope it comes out as good as I imagined.

Bob,

I'm sure it will be a great book, I know the first two books that Concord put out on OIF had a distinct political slant to them from the photographer, I bought them just for the pictures...not his Op ed.

Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC
Yes, there were a number of incorrect assumptions made in the first two OIF books, and why they were said the way they were said I do not wish to comment on here. But, I felt the record needed to be set straight, which was one reason to write the book.

But as you said, the photos themselves are worth getting the books, and I suppose my book will be the same, no matter what I have written. That was the original spark for the book; letting people see them.

I too have many magazine photos and web photos, etc, but they usually do not have accompanying information. That is why any book put out like Concord puts out is still viable despite the web, since you are not only getting the photos, you are getting the research that comes with them. And they are in your lap and transportable.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:03 AM UTC
i'll be sure to pick this book up, sounds like a good one.
can i get an autograph :-)
-thanks for the book
shain
 _GOTOTOP