_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
AHOY! MAKE WAY FOR THE BRITISH ARMY!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 11:47 PM UTC
Some in-progress shots of my current projects (hey, my midterms are over. Give me a break, will ya? )

First off, here's a Chieftain Mk. 15 with Stillbrew and TOGS. Well, what's supposed to be a Chieftain Mk.15, that is!

This here's the 1/35 Tamiya Chieftain Mk. 5 kit which I got from a TankNet member. I'm converting it to a Mk. 15, i.e. adding the Stillbrew add-on composite armour and TOGS (along with other stuff). The greyish thingy mass on the turret's face is the Milliput that I'm using for the Stillbrew.

FYI, Stillbrew is an early form of composite armour. Cast produced, it is essentially layers of steel and rubber. Stillbrew is considered a predecessor to Chobham. Stillbrew is bolted on the tank with around 2-3 inches space between it and the turret. Sheet metal was then added to the gaps (Bob Griffin who wrote a Chieftain book says that a nice hollow sound results when you knock at that sheet metal - but the rest of the Stillbrew is solid).

Same tank, with the turret slewed to the left. For this project, I will be replacing the kit's L11 gun with one from a Tamiya Challenger 1 kit (to be provided hopefully by 4Eyes ). Since this pic was taken, I have added more Milliput to get the correct approximate shape of the Stillbrew armour. Mounted at the bustle is a scratchbuild stowage box of sorts. For this conversion, I'll be scratchbuilding the TOGS and using some more parts from the Tamiya Challenger 1 kit.

Now, to my main British project. I present to you:

An in-progress shot of II-Bravo. II-Bravo is the track of the commander of the Royal Scot Dragoon Guards. This here's a 1/35 Tamiya Challenger 2 kit being converted to "euroland NATO" scheme, since I'm sick of seeing desert variants of the same tank in forums, contests, etc. You'll notice the weird thingies on the turret - that's tape used to mask some areas for the anti-slip coating application.

The gray stuff you saw is the anti-slip coating. I used Mr. Surfacer 500 from a spray can for the anti-slip coat. Since the Surfacer 500 is too thin from the spray can, what I did to make sure the surface was rough was to spray at a farther distance, making quick passes. Letting each coat dry, the result is that the surface is 'dusted' with the Surfacer, thus ensuring that the Surfacer becomes 'dry' as it hits the surface, not in liquid form. Result is a rougher texture.

Because the Tamiya kit was a desert version only, I couldn't convert II-Bravo to NATO Euro scheme without using some parts from a Trumpeter Chally 2 kit. The donor kit was Trump's first Chally 2 kit - Chally 2 KFOR. All the green parts you see are from the Trumpeter kit - the Tamiya kit didn't have these. White are sheet styrene. I added handles on the front of the hull - the dark rectangular thingies you see. These are strips of metal which I cut from a steel fastener, folded and then placed into the hull front with holes drilled thru the plastic and glued using superglue.

The same method used for the hull mounted handles was used to make the handles seen here on the side of the Challenger 2's hull. Note that the turret's side also has anti-slip coating. According to Stuart Galbraith's (TankNet) friend who serves in the reserves and had C2 training, the anti-slip coating was applied on the entire top of the turret (including the stowage bins) and on the sides. The only areas not given an anti-slip coat (other than the sensors and I assume the mantlet, commander's cupola, and loader's hatch) are the sides of the stowage boxes. One purported reason for anti-slip coating for the sides is that if the tank crew uses glossy paint, at least the rough surface will tend to dull said glossy paint.

The skirts are scratchbuilt using sheet styrene. Again, the Tamiya kit only had the up-armoured skirts, and the Trump Chally 2 KFOR kit's skirts were of the wrong size (compared to line drawings of the Concord book - now, whether the line drawings are accurate I have no idea) and didn't fit well on the Tamiya kit. So I had to make new ones. To do that, I placed sheet styrene under the line drawing with carbon paper sandwiched in between. I then drew over the line drawing, thus transferring the image on the sheet styrene. Cut using scissors, sanded smooth, and viola! Skirts. I then added metal strips for the handles. The sides of II-Bravo where the mounting pins of the skirts were located were drilled to accomodate the brass pins which I used to mount the skirts.

A close-up shot of the sprocket with the Armour Track Models' indy tracks. According to the box, I needed 81 links and the recommended kit was a Trumpeter Chally 2. The tracks came with resin sprockets and idlers, however the sprockets and idler couldn't fit on the Tamiya kit and got damaged when removing the sprue so I used the kit's sprockets and idlers. The kit sprockets needed a bit of inside trimming but other than that, the tracks fit nicely. I dunno how many links I needed, but I have a handful left. I'll take a pic of how the indy track looks like unfinished.

Hopefully I'll have more pix next week. For the completed projects, y'all have to wait for the Nationals 2005 though hehehehe!
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:47 AM UTC
And so the British Army rolls. Looking good, GI! Keep the pics coming!

BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC
I hardly know squat about the C2, but one can easy see the amount of hard work and dedication done to this model - just look at all the added details.

My only gripe is I dont like the side skirts; I prefer the the uparmored version; but that's more on aesthetics.

Nice going GI. Hope it comes out as a killer.

BT6
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
Impressive build Comrade. Hmmmmm..... Do I sense a defection here?
Beans
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
That's great stuff
dodjiemd
Visit this Community
entire network: 76 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hey GIB! Long time no hear ah!

Nice looking british armor you got there. Wish I could start on my stash soon, been busy with my work lately. Been overtime and everything.

Keep it up GIB!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
Thanks to all for your kind comments!

More in-progress shots...

These are two views (the lower photo taken with flash from camera) of 2-Bravo's deck with the Tamiya PE mesh fret. The PE I bought at Lils Megamall (Plugging! Plugging! ) Lils Parksquare had no more CR2 PE, but the Megamall branch still has some stock left (At P265 - so for all those wishing to detail their Tamiya CR2s, go run to Megamall and get a set! )

Here are two views of the rear of 2-Bravo. IIRC, the deck had small stubs that represented the handles. I removed these and replaced with wire, bent, deck drilled, and then superglued. Notice the very bad seam where the hull deck meets the stern. This is a result of too much thinning by me because the hull deck won't fit properly what with all the wire I used. So I thinned the underside, only to find out I thinned it too much. I tried to rectify it by filling it with CA glue, but the seam was too large. I will fill it with Milliput instead, removing the excess while still wet to avoid sanding. The copper wire in the reel you see comes with the kit. I modified the reel a bit so that it can turn round-and-round without getting loose.

Above are two indy track links of the ATM indy tracks for those curious as to how they look like. The upper link shows the track with the plugs attached. The lower track is how it looks like when disassembled.

Tanxheaven.com has some really nice close-up shots of the CR2 showing the detail of the anti-slip coating. I plan to redo my anti-slip coating by stippling it with an old paint brush. Of course, will try that method out on cardboard first.
Beans
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 05:17 AM UTC
Nice update, but when I ask at Lil's if they have AM or PE sets for tanks, they say they don't -is there a membership club over at Lil's? :-)
Beans
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC
BTW that Chally of yours is doing great. Nice details-you must be building the ultimate. -sold out na din lahat ng Chally2 kits sa Lil's. Last time I saw there was a stockpile now not even one, and I can barely see the Challenger 1 on the shelf.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
Thanks Beans! Yup, this is a "labour of love" hehehe plus I'm doing a "backlash" against all those Chally 2s being made in Op. Telic desert fashion hehehe

Yeah, Lils doesn't really have PE or AM sets per se, except at Megamall and only for the Tamiya Challenger 2, and only as of now. I was really lucky on this one. Our hobby shops (with the exception of HnC and JMN) do not regularly stock up on PE and AM parts because they are expensive. I remember seeing some PE frets at Lils Parksquare, but these are very limited (Tiger I/II engine grills, etc.). I highly suggest that if you intend to get a Tamiya Chally 2 in the future, do get the Tamiya PE Chally 2 fret at Lils Megamall ASAP lest supply runs out.

As for the availability Chally 2 kit, last time I visited JMN at Harrisons (a week ago), they had the Tamiya Chally 2 in stock.
Beans
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC
Being a bit rebellious are'nt you, trying to convert that OIF chally to KFOR configuration. I dont plan on buying a chally 2 in the near future as I am trying to focus on russian armor this year. But that is already on my -wishlist . -do you happen to have the phone # of STC -in what branch did you see the IS tracks -
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Yep. I prefer to go against the grain when doing models nowadays hehehe

CR2 in your wishlist? Then I say go get that PE fret, lest it become rare and disgustingly expensive. Having the CR2 in the wishlist category is enough of an incentive to get that PE fret hehehehe!

Same here - after all my modern MBT kits, I'll be going to ships and Soviet/Russian armour.

I just visited STC but I forgot to check for the IS-3 tracks. Their phone number is: 850-3928
Beans
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep. I prefer to go against the grain when doing models nowadays hehehe

CR2 in your wishlist? Then I say go get that PE fret, lest it become rare and disgustingly expensive. Having the CR2 in the wishlist category is enough of an incentive to get that PE fret hehehehe!

Same here - after all my modern MBT kits, I'll be going to ships and Soviet/Russian armour.

I just visited STC but I forgot to check for the IS-3 tracks. Their phone number is: 850-3928

Right now I'm all WW2- -(all for motherland! And one for the queen! - no Germans) Thanks for the phone #
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC
Jolly good show, GI.
 _GOTOTOP