History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Courage
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:32 AM UTC
Words from a Soldier Serving in Iraq.

Courage

I'm not a hero.

That is to say, I don't think of myself that way. I don't seek out danger. I'm not the type of guy who is always looking for the next adrenaline rush, or the latest thrill sport. I generally avoid dangerous activities.

I'm not a coward, either.

I'm not fearless. I realize, every day that I am here, that my life is in danger.

There is no way to avoid this conclusion. I'm told to wear body armor and a helmet. I carry a weapon. We build fortifications. I lug a pack full of chemical protection gear everywhere I go. I've received so many shots, I feel like a pincushion. Sometimes, when I have a moment or two to think about it, I feel a little bit scared. Frankly, only an idiot would not be afraid under these circumstances.

But I do have courage.

Courage is not the absence of fear. To the contrary, courage involves recognizing danger, but acting on the realization that danger must be confronted -- or it will find you when you are least prepared.

I didn't come here looking for a thrill.

I'm here because there is a hole in the ground in New York, where a couple of the world's tallest buildings used to be.

I'm here because I knew some of those people in the Pentagon.

I'm here because my seven-year-old nephew has nightmares about terrorists.

I'm here because whether Saddam is responsible or not for those terrorist attacks, he has the will and is developing the means to do much, much worse.
I'm here because if History teaches us anything, it is that evil men cannot be deterred by sanctions, containment strategies, diplomacy, resolutions, or weapons inspections.

Think about these words next time a critic spouts off on the quagmire of Iraq.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
Strong profound words. They ring so true and echo things you heard every day over there!!!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 12:58 PM UTC
Hi, Hearty patriotic sentiments from the flower of American youth. From those who are willing to stand up on the Sharp Edge of things when the going gets tough..

Now I don't want to 'rock the boat' here folks, so don't take this the wrong way, but there's another reason why these fine and very up-standing Americans are laying their lives' on the line today too. A reason that is not so very outstanding or so patriotic, but is nonetheless very true. And it's basically the same reson that over 50,000 of my generation gave their lives over in a small southeastern country here not so very long ago. For the simple reason that it makes those quarterly dividend checks look really good. Where, by the way, the very vast majority of those billions our dear president has been asking Congress for is going to end up giong to when it's all said and done with.

I stand behind our people over there 100%, but I'm just old enough and jaded enough to see more than simply what's on the top. I'll chalk this one up to reading too much history and being too old for my own good.

Again I apolgize if I've upset anybody, as it was not my intent to do so.

Take care, Sgirty
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
anybody know who the author is?

Sean