_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Whats going on with mailing stuff to Canada?
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 02:34 AM UTC
I dropped an international money order into the mail on the 13th to a guy in Canada. I get it back on the 20th requesting more postage. I add another stamp and send it on its way, only to have it return a few days later. It is just a money order. Nothing more. Its not heavy by any means. What gives? Anybody else having this trouble? I've been trying to pay for this kit now for over a month and I cant seem to get the money to the guy. I'm beginning to lose my cool. and I'm sure he is as well. "Q"
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
why not go down to the post office directly and ask them what is going on ...Anytime I send anything outside the contry I take it staight to them so there is no mistakes...

Rick
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
I think postal rates went up in the new year in the US.
I know that they did here in Canada.

Check out the USPS web site and see if you are putting sufficient postage on the letter...

Cheers, Michael
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:07 AM UTC
Back when I was still working I would get my checks mailed to me and the envelope said postage paid, but the mail person wouldn't give it to me, saying I owed more money, I told them can't they read, it says right there postage paid.

But they said if you want it, you're gone to pay another I forget now, but I knew it was my pay checks, and I think they did to, so they knew I would pay to get them, and it only happened on my pay checks to, a couple times, then they stopped doing it.

I asked them at work about it, to what was going on, and they said nothing has changed, so I don't know what it was.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:09 PM UTC
The solution is WESTERN UNION. He gets the money same minute . Never had a problem . so keep that in mind
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
I have not been pleased lately with Canada Post as well, I have had more stuff go missing or get the you know what bashed out of it in the last year. In 04 they lost a MO, a model, 2 books and crushed a model that was in two boxes, plus Bryan Grey from here on this site had a resin piece go missing as well. And all the while prices go up and service goes down.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
Postage increases in Canada will effect the cost in every country that mails to Canada.

SB
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have not been pleased lately with Canada Post as well,

I know what you mean...Canada Post took 14 days to get a 1st class letter to me from Baseline and Woodroffe to Alta Vista Dr. Postage down here is still expensive ($0.37), but we get Saturday delivery, Christmas day delivery on some items and I haven't seen a postal strike since i moved south.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think postal rates went up in the new year in the US.
I know that they did here in Canada.

Check out the USPS web site and see if you are putting sufficient postage on the letter...

Cheers, Michael

For once our rates in the US have not gone up. Why not use PayPal or Western Union if you can.

Dave
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have not been pleased lately with Canada Post as well, I have had more stuff go missing or get the you know what bashed out of it in the last year. In 04 they lost a MO, a model, 2 books and crushed a model that was in two boxes, plus Bryan Grey from here on this site had a resin piece go missing as well. And all the while prices go up and service goes down.

Proper packaging is the answer to damaged items.

When properly packaged I have yet to have a complaint with any item I have shipped or received in over 400 sales using Canada's or the US Postal system.

The parcels are rarely handled by humans in the mail system anymore. They go through machines with conveyor belts and end up being dropped into containers to be shipped by truck or plane to desitnation. The only time they are handled by humans anymore is by the accepting retail postal outlet and when the postman or truck driver drops them off at your house.

Lost items on the other hand are the fault of the postal system...

Cheers, Michael

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:40 AM UTC
Several months a go I was having a lot of trouble with the US mail, they claim the fax machines took away 60% from their business, well if it did, they should have plenty of time on their hands.

But instead of getting the mail quicker, it then took 9 days to go 42 miles, and 6 days to go 5 miles, hell I could walk faster then that. I complained, but all that done was make it worse.

Well now they are back to normal, not exactly, it now takes 3 to 4 days to go 42 miles, when a year ago it used to go clear across coast to coast in 3 days, cause I had a place mail a letter from Washington State on a Friday, and it was here in Ohio that Monday morning, now that was a year ago.

This place I bought all these models from are in Illinois, and it would take at least a week for the check to get there by mail, a full 6 days, but UPS could do it in 3

Everywhere I had to send a check by mail, the postal service took longer then it took UPS to come back with the goods, I wished UPS delivered mail to, then that would be a lot quicker, and save the tax payers billions, in keeping up a dead horse.

They need to take away the postal service from the government, and let an independent company run it, or a bunch of independents run it. One thing postage would go down, efficiency would go way up. Your taxes would drop, well they wouldn't but should, cause they are no longer using them billions to keep the postal service a float.
Kerry
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
I personally havent had any issues with the canadian postal service.everything i have ordered arrives with in 10-13 days!!!i do know that it cost's ,more than .37 cents to mail a first class letter to someone up north!If i remember correctly it was some where in the are of .67-69 cents!!!!!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They need to take away the postal service from the government, and let an independent company run it, or a bunch of independents run it. One thing postage would go down, efficiency would go way up. Your taxes would drop, well they wouldn't but should, cause they are no longer using them billions to keep the postal service a float.
Kerry

They have talked about privatising the post office in Canada for years. The problem is there are only 31 million people stretched across one of the largest countries in the world.

Private companies only want to deliver to major urban centres as they say delivery to smaller cities and towns isn't profitable.

if the private company won't deliver to every place what is the point?

The USA on the other hand has 10 times the population so a private post office may work.

Cheers, Michael
 _GOTOTOP